Debian 11 - Virtualmin - Account migration - Mailbox errors

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 11
Webmin version 2.013
Virtualmin version 7.5

Hello one and all.
No rush on this one as I’m just testing Debian 11 ATM.

Scenario. Migrating a single backed up account in “tar” format from a Debian 10 Virtualmin installation to a new Debian 11 server as listed above.

When I create a virtual server on the New Virtualmin Debian 11 install without importing the backup file (to test config). Ie: brand new manual setup of the domain.
Lets say I created… test.com and create a user of “mail”.

An external email sent from gmail to mail@test.com lands perfectly at virtualmin in the new domain inbox.
No issues had. Which means postfix and FQDN outgoing settings work fine. Mail-tester.com checked outgoing. All good!

Once that test VM server is deleted and I have an empty Debian 11 Virtualmin server.

I import the backup file of the existing test.com from the Debian 10 installation in the restore server option, via the TAR file.
This is where things mess up.

The new server (test.com) domain creates OK, outgoing mail is ok too; Web site creates and works. But when emailing to the mail@test.com domain I get this error from logs:

“reason: 550 5.1.1 mail@test.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table”

I used the basic restore options without choosing any extra choices. Basically restore all.

Has anyone else had mail delivery issues when migrating to the new distro?

Moaning keyboard warriors (you know who you are! lol) please contain your negative responses. Trolls will be ignored.

Best wishes to all!

:pray:
:smiley:

I believe this is a known bug in 7.5 when restoring domains from an old system with usernames in the user@domain.tld format. It will be fixed in 7.6 (coming in the next day or two).

You can also workaround it by enabling Virtualmin Configuration->Advanced options->Create extra Unix user on Postfix systems when using user@domain format

You’ll need to do that before restoring (so you’ll need to delete the domain you restored, already). Or, you can manually add those extra Postfix users.

1 Like

Cheers @joe!
Thanks for the swift reply pal :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.