Debian 11 is officially released

Hi, @jimdunn my primary goal is to survive, yes that’s why I chose Debian…my post here was to make aware some people like advanced users or whatever just I’m not to push here… happy days there…

Not pushing :slight_smile: , but when will we have vs7 with Debian 11 support?

I mean not an exact date, but can you @Joe or @Ilia give us a rough estimate at this moment, in order to plan stuff? Running CentOS 7 on a host and some VMs so kind of eager to migrate directly to Debian 11.

@vending_makina in todays Celebrating diversity episode:

I am more on the “try it while it’s fresh else you run Windows 95” side; and it worked fine mostly. Otherwise no one will ever enjoy stability, if we don’t harden the ecosystem ourselves. Through pain :exploding_head: Myself included, because stability is what I am aiming for in the life cycle of an OS. So who else is going to try the OS in production if not us? Who is going to report all the bat sh… weird problems upstream?

Also in my opinion the dangers of trying Debian or RHEL clones when released is low if your whole stack can run them. I mean we are not talking rolling distros here but vetted software with healthy and mature versions.

And the ugliest disasters I have seen are generated by the “don’t touch it if it works” attitude - so I am the dude that has no problem restarting Linux servers - just so I know that it boots fine and not running on smoke. Happened twice to me with a IBM and a HP, and fellow admins saw most of the other brands. Machines with “awesome” uptime but not able to pass POST when that happens. So now I build anything I can, upgrade everything and reboot stuff like monke after each kernel update, hosts at a slower pace. Also I run my own email servers, there is work involved but a rewarding one. My opinion is that anyone can and should do it instead of always delegating DNS and email to Big Tech. Reputation wise I am usually good until I am not, but effectively it is enough to just solve the problem. Any CMS has some kind of extension to help you with brute force, fail2ban, captchas and 2FA go a long way. Enforce those when problems mount. The hanging script issue - limits everywhere, discuss things with people and have monitoring. But with a CMS, forums, Wiki and other FOSS web apps that almost never happens, it will already be a bug that was already reported and already with a proposed solution. That would be a big problem in the core, so unless someone runs the worst and oldest extension/plugin… Point where you get to explain stuff and send them to someone else if they persist in ignoring the plethora of other healthy extensions.

Happens mostly with custom software, and have too few of those so I consider out of my depths here.

As @jimdunn said I too nonchalantly invite users after a few discussions to find better hosts if they feel like spamming, entitled to everything for 5E/month or abuse my resources in any way. Takes a bit of inner strength and grinding. So I am left with a very few but reliable clients - it works for me and most important for them as I invest everything in this. Like all the good people here.

BTW Webmin worked fine from day one - I bluntly updated a Zabbix machine with Webmin from 10 to 11. No problems.

1 Like

@fakemoth I share your enthusiasm for stability etc, Debian 10 is stable well enough, give virtualmin folks some space. I said happy upgrading in my post basically it will works flawlessly if you upgrade distribution with distro full… terminal will ask you few annoying questions but if you know what you are doing, you’re safe.

why people even reply to this post, it was mentioned for few advanced people…I am in impression that I was not very obvious in first place in my initial post. ilia and others should only reply… it was meant to be for Devs only…sorry.

Debian 10 doesn’t even expire until 2024. Why anybody would bother going from 10 to 11 at the outset is beyond me.

1 Like

I’ve corrected my mistake.happy days.

@Gomez_Adams I do, just for testing and having fun with broken stuff…as I said and you’re correct…it was posted in wrong forum part…sorry for noisy respirations.

1 Like

I hate mobile phones to replying…Tara till next shunning day.

Because the universe is complex and filled by people with all kind of opinions. So your recipe might not encompass everything, right?

Just offered an alternative view, otherwise people new here might figure there is only a way to go. That is not true.

BTW Debian 10 has security updates untill next year. That “LTS” has a very different meaning than for Ubuntu.

So you are asking why would I upgrade a non critical machine that is a month old (see how you don’t have all the facts?) to a newer OS version? Because I can and because I should if I am to have a decent setup, also to figure and report problems. And than there is curiosity.

Each one of us paves his own roads.

@unborn you worry too much man :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the old adage of “If it is not broken, don’t fix it” doesn’t apply here. Gotcha! :wink:

@Gomez_Adams it was actually windows slogan :smiley: @fakemoth well since I don’t know you I do not give a finger towards your issue…sorry buddy.

1 Like

Talking about not upgrading to the latest version of something.
One of my servers is still running Ubuntu 14.02 LTS with Virtualmin.
Today I decided to ditch Ubuntu and finally upgrade.
Setup a new machine with Debian 11 and was greeted with the install message that only up to 10 is supported.
I guess this upgrade can wait for a bit longer. Hopefully this year I will be able to.

1 Like

If you bothered reading the “Supported OS” information you would have known that before you bothered.

Also, 14.02 was end of life years ago. It’s been end of life so long ago I don’t remember when it was end of life. They’ve gone through 16, 18 and are now on 20.

If you couldn’t be bothered to upgrade over the last 3 OS releases of Ubuntu over the last 5 or 6 years, I’m sure it’s not going to kill you to wait a little bit longer until 11 is supported.

Breathe mate

1 Like

Says the guy complaining about a brand new OS when he hasn’t upgraded in at least 7 years. :roll_eyes:

i’ve upgraded a -testing/secondary- debian 10 virtualmin machine to debian 11 around july (before officially released…) works fine so far, no noticeable issues, but that machine only runs DNS and a couple of virtual servers with apache/certbot. so, apache+bind only, no emails.

main production machine will dist-upgrade to bullseye, when virtualmin/webmin team is ready to support it officially… no sooner than that… if you want stable, hold your breath till then.

Having just read all of this discussion I’m just going to quietly add that some people don’t want to do an install of an oldstable and then update to current stable. Debian is in complete freeze for 6 months before release with practically only bug fixing in that time. Debian 11 is rock solid and while I think waiting for Virtualmin 7 is the best idea it would be nice to have some sort of ETA.

I never upgrad3e a critical server…especially when virt’s backup system makes it so stupid easy to restore. I make the final single file backup…nuke the box…install the new os…sot he initial virt install…then restore the single blob…usually within 30 minutes i have a fresh system restored back to where it was on the shiny new OIS.

1 Like

@brody1 and what’s the problem? just use debian10

Why bother going from 10 to 11 ? In case you are genuinely curious (and not trolling) bug fixes.

E.g.: certbot for letsencrypt certificate management would go from version 0.31.0 to 1.12.0-2 is one. This means LE certificates renewal aren’t failing because webroot_map settings are not getting removed. I suspect there may be many new issues that get introduced at the same time, but mostly to benefit from Debian’s conservative but steady progress.

beat you to it, lol