Cron and Wordpress action scheduler

Operating system CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 1.984 Usermin version 1.834
Virtualmin version 6.17

Hello all,
I have been using Virtualmin happily for a number of years but have run into an issue I don’t know how to get past and am asking for help!

I run some Wordpress sites which have auto updates and other scheduled actions running from time to time (at least they used to run smoothly). For a couple of months I have had to run items manually. I have now added a cron job to force action-scheduler to run once an hour but ideally I’d like it to work as it did before.

Can anyone help give me some tips on what to look for and how to go about finding out why things just stopped.

It might be worth noting I went as far as setting up a new server and moved one of the sites onto the new server and it made no difference.

You might start at your wordpress installation… check the logs and see if there are any error’s while trying to run those upgrade-commands.
Don’t know how WP it currently do… if it’s some kind of “pseudo-cron” generated via website-traffic, or if wordpress use real-cron-jobs.

Is your Virtualmin version actually 6.17 or 6.17-3?

If it’s 6.17 you really should update it.

Thanks Gomez, yum update tells me it is all up to date but I see other results when I google suggesting users have had to manually try to update? virtualmin info responds with virtualmin version: 6.17.gpl so I assume its not up to date?

I think there were several issues with some older OS’s not seeing the available updates. I’m not sure if OS7.9 was one of them.

Maybe @Joe can help out with this.

The package version is authoritative, not the displayed version (I know this is annoying, it doesn’t happen often that we have the extra field and our build process doesn’t update the displayed version).

Check the version of the wbm-virtual-server or webmin-virtual-server package to confirm whether you have the -3 release.

Some people have broken their own updates by removing/disabling Virtualmin repos. That’s not our issue. :wink:

1 Like

Seems I finally resolved this. Bind DNS was stopped on both servers - strange this happened on both existing and new server. In any case it seems the wordpress plugins are relying on local dns resolution related to the SSL letsencrypt certificate somehow. Started BIND DNS and all my problems went away!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.