Creating FTP accounts

We need to create an FTP account with several different users and user permissions.

We created a virtual server and changed the home directory to /home/whatever/ftp so they do not have access to the unneeded web stuff.

But how can we create new ftp users and modify their permissions?

We need to add an account that has upload capabilities, and another account that has only download ability.

The default existing account would be the administrative account that can delete etc.

We created a virtual server and changed the home directory to /home/whatever/ftp so they do not have access to the unneeded web stuff.

I’m not sure I understand where you’re going with this. Sounds wrong, somehow. :wink:

But how can we create new ftp users and modify their permissions?

We need to add an account that has upload capabilities, and another account that has only download ability.

The default existing account would be the administrative account that can delete etc.

So, it sounds like you need to be working with the ProFTPd module. You’re trying to do things that are well outside the scope of Virtualmins comprehension of FTP.

Virtualmin has three types of FTP user:

Virtual server owner - Can, optionally, have FTP access to the entirety of their home directory (which nearly contains everything related to the virtual server).

Website FTP access user - This is a user that can manage the website content via FTP.

Mail/FTP User - This is a normal mailbox user. They, optionally, have FTP access to their own home directory. They don’t have privileges to do much else. With some tweaking in the ProFTPd configuration, this kind of user could probably be able to do what you’re after…but, it’s certainly not the default.

You may find it easiest to create dedicated FTP accounts for this purpose, completely outside the control of Virtualmin.

You’ll need to get a pretty good grasp of UNIX group membership concepts, as your users will all need to be in the same group, and the directories the users are sharing will need to be forced to the same group.

Yeah,

Me and my colleague more or less figured out this is not virtualmin turf.

So thank-you for your reply :slight_smile: