Creating an Email Only Account Now Creates an Alias too?

I have been moving several of my clients from an old server to a new server, both are running Virtualmin v7.5, and have run into a bit of a discrepancy that I can not understand. When I create a new Email Only account, on the old server it does not create an alias. However, on the new server, running Virtualmin v7.5 it now creates an alias. Furthermore, if I delete the alias from the new server, the email system complains that the user does not exist when I try to send an email to said user. In case you are curious, I say older server as I installed Virtualmin on it a year or so ago and just update it when needed, the new one is a fresh install.

I’ve gone over the config files of both servers and do not see a difference, did something change somewhere or is there a config that I am not seeing?

Just to clarify a bit, on the new server:

• An Email only user (test123@domain.com) is created with the default set of settings
    • Virtualmin → Create User
      • Email Settings
        • Primary email address enabled : Yes
        • Deliver to this user normally: Yes, deliver to mailbox
      • Mail forwarding settings
        • Forward to other addresses : No
  • After creation, check the new user’s settings
    • Virtualmin → Edit User
      • Email Settings
    • Virtualmin → Edit Mail Aliases
      • Mail forwarding alias details
        • Forward to other address: Yes, forward to addresses
        • (Textbox below the field): test123\@domain.com

On the old server

• An Email only user (test123@domain.com) is created with the default set of settings
    • Virtualmin → Create User
      • Email Settings
  • After creation, check the new user’s settings
    • Virtualmin → Edit User
      • Email Settings
    • Virtualmin → Edit Mail Aliases
      • No Alias exists for user
1 Like

I guess nobody knows? Frustrating…

This doesn’t happen on my system.
Is everything a default setup.
In alias all I have is the default users

You never posted your system as request when posting. Maybe its a OS issue. The backslash is weird.

Is this related to the 'create extra roundcube user for postfix thread/threads?

Pretty sure that was discussed as an escape for postfix? I have it on my system. Debian 11.

I use setting but never seen that format in the config. Its to fix the authentication issue of roundcube. My system create 2 users one called user@domain.com and user-domain.com, both have same User ID and group and location.

I seem to have versions of all 3 on my system. -,/ and none.

This behavior is because some services can’t work with user@domain.tld usernames. (Virtualmin and everything we maintain can, and Postfix now can but couldn’t in the past, Dovecot can, SASL can, but Roundcube has problems without some modification or something, and some other tools also get confused.)

If that’s what OP means by “alias”, then that is what is happening. It can be disabled, but you’re likely to be unpleasantly surprised by incompatibilities at some point.

AlmaLinux 9.1 Linux 5.14.0-162.22.2.el9_1.x86_64
New installation
Virtualmin 7.5
I damage that aliases are created with new/. domain. com
Deleting alias new/. domain. com
Adding to /etc/postfix/virtual
new @domain.com new @domain. com

I can’t receive mail: postfix/error[89357]: BB21C8F20017: to=<admin@domain.com >, relay=none, delay=0.02, delays=0.02/0/0/0 , dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)

Is there a solution? or leave postfix for exim4

Earlier I installed AmlaLinux 8.7 everything worked, maybe I should roll back to 8.7 until I started the server?

Addition:
I reinstalled AlmaLinux 9.1
The situation is similar, when creating a mail user, Alice is created with “/@”, I delete Alice “/@” I receive when trying to send mail through :20000/mailbox
3550 5.1.1 <Ń…Ń…Ń…@Ń…Ń…Ń… >: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

Now I’ll check for Almalinux 8.7 and OracleLinux 9.1

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.