Cpanel migration and questions new host

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Almada 9
Virtualmin version latest & will pay pro

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a bit and searching and have my list of questions… I hope that i hit the right threads and still add relevance in 2024…

I have a current cpanel VPS server running cpanel/WHM with 13 sites. Its centOS EOL and a week or two if I choose to upgrade at great expense…

SO i have found a VPS host that suits my budget 6vcore 16GB 200GB VPS hosted in country I prefer… Except it has a extra cost a second IP making it more expensive… $50 more vs $100 for pro virtualmin (and yes massive savings over cpanel)

I have been testing GPL virtualmin on a oracle VPS free tier and am impressed!!

My questions…

1. Can I host ns2 (secondary NS) on cloudflare - remember pro version paid for - for a new primary domain and the existing domain on the existing host to minimise downtime during transfer? Is IPNAT a better alternative and does virtualmin support helping me achieve this goal? either one??

2. I will be migrating 13 sites - subdomains, parked domains, large inboxes and various wordpress configs. Is there any issues with doing this as I broke DNS/SSL in a test transfer (I am yet to do a second VM start again, learning pains) However I would like to know the best config LEMP LAMP… I am currently using NGINX with caching. Is there a issue with this?

3. Am I best to use a new nameserver host and change at regustrar end or setup exactly how existing host, migrate, and then point the ns1/2 at the same IP and then handle cloudflare ns2 for google etc sake?

Hopefully I have been succinct my questions. I look forward to joining this community and learning a new control panel system that is reasonably priced and helps the dev team :slight_smile:

thanks!

what is this ? I don’t think that is in the list of grade A OS … perhaps choose an OS from there or correct your typo

Sorry spell check error AlmaLinux 9

If you’re hosting any DNS on Cloudflare, you should host all DNS on Cloudflare. There’s no reason to host it locally. Virtualmin Pro can manage records in Cloudflare, so anything you’d do with local DNS can be done using the Cloudflare DNS servers.

Do you mean you are using both Apache and nginx (where nginx is just acting as a proxy cache)? If so, you should pick the web server you want to use. We do not support using both Apache and nginx on the same system, as it makes no sense to do so, it’s just a waste of resources. Both Apache and nginx are fast enough as to never be your bottleneck…your web applications and your databases are why your sites are slow, if they’re slow, and it has nothing to do with the web server.

I don’t understand what you’re asking in question 3. Keep DNS simple. It’s what everybody (including me) messes up, so don’t do anything weird. If you want to use Cloudflare for DNS just use Cloudflare for DNS. Just don’t change the glue records until you’re happy with your new website setup…i.e. you’ve completed the migration and tested using a local entry in your hosts file.

I’d be interested to hear others on this. I’m in the same process and what I’ve been doing is copying the BIND configuration Virtualmin produces manually over to the cPanel server, replacing (after backup) the contents of the file in /var/named/ with the Virtualmin produced content. Obviously that won’t sync if clients make further changes, but it is serving to bridge things until I change the IP addresses of the old name servers to point to the new configuration.

I had the same configuration on cPanel. LEMP outperforms LAMP substantially (which is really noticeable on pages that make a lot of small requests), but it isn’t nearly so friendly to Perl that depends on FCGI, breaks .htaccess and probably has some other limitations for folks used to using Apache. So, I’ve written a tool to achieve the same sort of NGINX caching configuration that cPanel produces. I’m going to release it under the GPL on GitHub, but I haven’t finished the documentation yet. I should have that done in the next few days if you’re interested, though; Virtualmin has been successfully triggering it on my box every time I make changes to a server’s configuration.

(This is very much not a supported Virtualmin configuration, but I found it allowed me to maintain the functionality I and my users were accustomed to on the cPanel server without giving up the performance boost of NGINX. It implements improvements over the vanilla cPanel NGINX config, so if you want to try it, it should actually make your sites serve faster than cPanel’s config did. Again, though, it is unsupported. :crazy_face:)

1 Like

We’ll answer any questions you have about Virtualmin and the services it manages. Networking questions are generally not something we can help with, as they’re so specific to your provider, your local network, etc.

I am in. @tbutler

Will purchase the VPS today.

Am out at the moment will PM you!

//Thanks to all these great responses, I am confident moving to virtualmin pro is the way forward :+1:

Just sent you a PM back, @borngeek.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.