Connect domain properly to DNS

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version AlmaLinux 10.2
Virtualmin version 8.2

I have changed providers and for testing moved one of my domains to the new providers. In Virtualmin, a dns record has already been created for this domain (let’s say mydomain.org). At the provider’s Control panel, I can enter DNS records or create a DNS set. I would like to use the latter option and point to the DNS which was created by Virtualmin. I can enter a name and an IP address. I understand that I need to enter two with different IP addresses. However, I have only one IP address. How do I go about it?

I would try (but better safe than sorry) :slight_smile:

ns1.mydomain.org   123.45.67.89
ns2.mydomain.org   123.45.67.89

However, that’s the same IP address. Would that be ok?

Alot of people don’t like it as its really not a secondary nameserver but it will work fine.

Some DNS providers insist on 2 nameservers, but if you only have 1 IP, then this is used as a workaround.

A lot of cPanel setups I have used have been like this.

If you don’t have a secondary, I recommend you just use your registrar’s DNS servers (or Cloudflare DNS or Amazon Route 53 or Google DNS or any of the others). It is less convenient in some cases, but just having one DNS server is worse.

Virtualmin can directly manage records in a few cloud DNS providers, but only Route 53 is available in the GPL version, I think; Cloudflare and Google DNS and maybe some others are in Pro. That gives you the convenience of having Virtualmin directly manage DNS, and the reliability of having multiple DNS servers.

Some registrars will refuse to accept a configuration with only one DNS server, but most will allow it. So, you almost certainly can do what you want, but I still don’t recommend it.

Thank you, Joe and shoulders. I think I follow Joe’s recommendation, it makes sense. But I will choose a DNS server with which Virtualmin can communicate, it’s easier to maintain, I guess. The provider’s DNSs are ok, but I would have to add all individual entries manually.

Note that Virtualmin will give you a page of suggested DNS records if you disable the DNS feature; so, it’s somewhat less tedious to do the manual process.

But, yes, allowing Virtualmin to manage records directly is the easiest/fastest and least error-prone.