COLO stingy with IP addresses, multi ssl - one IP?

Hi,

First of all, thank you for a great product. If buying the pro version gives me the ability to do this, I’m ready to pony up.

I only have one IP available for my webserver, is there no way to host multiple sites on one IP? My server is actually behind my firewall running on 192.168.1.10 so the “real” IP is actually on the firewall. Is there anyway I can run mutliple ssl sites by creating more private IP addresses? Or maybe using a different port? I now about sli, but it’s not quite supported yet.

Any help or push in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Tony<br><br>Post edited by: tonythemediaguy, at: 2008/09/29 13:33

I don’t know whether Virtualmin supports it, but you can configure Apache to run SSL servers on multiple ports on one IP address. Something like:

Listen 444
NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.10:444
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10:444>
SSLEnable

</VirtualHost>

Hoping this helps,

Jonathan

Virtualmin does support it.

Thanks to both of you.

And by "does support it" I mean the IP:port combo that jmarsden is talking about.

The whole running multiple SSL sites by creating more private IP addresses is just crazy talk. Don’t go there. It makes no sense and won’t work.

I meant, that my firewall only supports a 1:1 ratio for real world IP to private IP. So by additonal private, I also meant additional external.

I meant, that my firewall only supports a 1:1 ratio for real world IP to private IP. So by additonal private, I also meant additional external.

Sure. That’ll work fine. You need one public IP per SSL virtual host, and it needs to map a private IP. I assumed the “COLO stingy with IP addresses” meant you couldn’t get those extra external IP addresses.

I had to call and beg and give them a reason why.

Colo is super expensive here in Hawaii, and they don’t give out IP’s as freely as mainland colo companies I’ve worked with in the past.

Thanks for your help,

Tony