Cloudmin alternative to shared hosting

I have currently 150 clients on a shared server at “SingleHop” in an “Intel Core i5-760”. Sites lightweight.

I was thinking to myself.
How could use the benefits of cloudmin as an alternative of shared hosting.

It is advisable or is a better option, use small instances for customers.
something like Gandi it does in https://www.gandi.net/hosting/simple
And to have the benefits of the cloud.

I do not see anyone talking about it, at least not found.

Hi,

In my opinion, if you’re planning on offering it in place of shared hosting, you may need to think twice. That is, isolating 150 clients into their own cloud would be like managing 150 servers in a sense. If your clients are used to getting shared hosting and don’t intend to manage their own instance themselves, you may need to rethink the idea.

On another note, what we’ve done here to make life easier is we’ve isolated services into instances which has allowed us to optimize different instances based on what service they are handling. This has allowed us to design a scalable infrastructure for the future and isolate issues at the service level.

I’m sure others have ideas on the topic, however that’s just my point of view :slight_smile:

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342
W: http://www.tpnsolutions.com

it really is not feasible to isolate customers.

I think then that could have virtualmin cloudmin some features, such as:

• An account can only use 60% ​​of CPU, etc…
  • Something to leave customers alone and in interfering in other accounts.

maybe I’m talking nonsense.
Virtualmin has very interesting features that surpass their competitors.

Hi,

Just to clarify, as it appears you may have confused what I was saying. We DON’T isolate customers, we isolate “services”, that is, we have:

- 2 DNS Servers - 3 MySQL Servers - 3 Web Servers - 2 Mail Servers

When a customer is added to our infrastructure, because of how we’ve designed things, the customer is added to a “web” node for hosting their actual website(s), a “sql” node for mysql databases, both “dns” servers which offer appropriate redundancy across two geographical separate facilities, and a “mx” (mail) node for hosting their email accounts.

This design is a bit more advanced than some would like to manage, however we’ve designed it to run smoothly, and are able to isolate issues when they occur, while also allowing for quick and easy scaling.

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342
W: http://www.tpnsolutions.com

Hello,

I would be very interested in how you accomplished this. I have 4 servers that are going in to a datacenter and I would like to seperate the services. 

My idea since I am not a big service yet would be to have 1 for web, 1 for mysql, 1 for VPS (ie Cloudmin) and 1 for backups and storage (IE iSCSI)

The DNS and Mail Servers could live on Cloudmin.

I know redundancy would be best but my budget is very small I plan on adding more servers later.

all 4 servers have 16 gb of ram and native storage of 300 gb, thus the need for the iSCSI Storage.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

This is interesting Peter, we have adopted a very similar approach to yours. Our setup has a similar number of servers, and I love the flexibility of keeping services isolated.

We have

• a live web server, and hot spare web server using rsync every 30 minutes

• 1 master and 1 slave mysql server, with backup dumps from the slave every 60 minutes

• 3 DNS servers (1 is the web server and then 2 in a different geo location)

• 1 mail server, with plans to expand this to a second over the next month

• a server with a monitoring system called nagios to track clients’ on premise Windoze servers

We’re currently looking to restructure some of our virtual machines and our Cloudmin Master. I’d be very appreciative of any knowledge you might have on my post here: http://virtualmin.com/node/28961

Cheers