Cloudflare - restore IP under "Recent Login" in Virtualmin Dashboard

Operating system: Ubuntu Linux
OS version: 20.04.2

Hello,

I used the mod_remoteip to restore visitor IP addresses through Cloudflare but noticed that this does not impact the recent IP logins under the “Recent Login” section of Webmin. Is there a way around this?

Thank you,

You could disable the proxy feature in Cloudflare for port 10000 / the Virtualmin domain, that should give you the actual IP in the Virtualmin dashboard as well as in Apache.

I don’t use Cloudflare myself but have done this for a few who do use it with Virtualmin.

@Rob,

Virtualmin doesn’t use Apache to serve pages, hence Apache modules have no effect over Virtualmin.

*** Virtualmin uses a homegrown, simple, perl based web server called “miniserv” ***

Perhaps @Jamie or @Joe might be able build support for this functionality into Virtualmin.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

I guess this module is using the X-Forwarded-For header? Or is it handled some other way? I’m pretty sure Webmin can provide that info, as it has good support for being proxied (and CloudFlare is a proxy, so I’d hope they use standard headers to announce that fact). I don’t know how off-hand, though.

Grepping miniserv.pl does turn up mentions of X-Forwarded-For, so support is almost certainly in there. You’ll want to poke around in the Webmin-through-a-proxy docs for clues about how to turn it on. Though…it seems like maybe it should be automatic. So, if you’re not seeing it, maybe Cloudflare does something weird instead.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll explore CF to see if I can find that option.

Good point. I was looking around to see where the log is kept for the IPs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.