Clamav, Webmin, ASL and Yum update problem

I am attempting to yum update package libxslt.x86_64 but run into dependency errors with clam. The issue is that I installed ARTS clam packages in favor of Webmin’s. Mainly because they are automatically installed with ASL. The installed packages are:

[root@ns1 ~]# rpm -qa clam*
clamav-db-0.94.2-3.el5.art
clamav-0.94.2-3.el5.art
clamd-0.94.2-3.el5.art

when I run yum update for libxslt I get the following errors:

Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package libxslt.x86_64 0:1.1.17-2.el5_2.2 set to be updated ---> Package clamav-server.x86_64 0:0.94.2-1.vm.el5 set to be updated --> Processing Dependency: data(clamav) for package: clamav-server --> Processing Dependency: clamav-filesystem = 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server --> Processing Dependency: init(clamav-server) for package: clamav-server --> Processing Dependency: clamav-lib = 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server --> Processing Dependency: clamd >= 0.92.1-2 for package: asl --> Running transaction check ---> Package clamav-data.x86_64 0:0.94.2-1.vm.el5 set to be updated ---> Package clamav-filesystem.x86_64 0:0.94.2-1.vm.el5 set to be updated ---> Package clamav-server-sysv.x86_64 0:0.94.2-1.vm.el5 set to be updated --> Processing Dependency: clamd >= 0.92.1-2 for package: asl ---> Package clamav-lib.x86_64 0:0.94.2-1.vm.el5 set to be updated --> Processing Conflict: clamav-filesystem conflicts clamav > 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 --> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: clamav-filesystem conflicts with clamav > 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 Error: Missing Dependency: clamd >= 0.92.1-2 is needed by package asl
I don't see any of the .vm files installed with rpm-qa. Any ideas as to what can be done to get around this?

Nevermind.

yum update --exclude=*.vm.el5

Didn’t know yum could do such a thing. Nice

Or:

yum update libxslt

Which will only update libxslt and its dependencies.

But, it’s probably best to add an exclude rule to the virtualmin.repo file for any packages you don’t want to get from our repos (likewise for other repos; it’s pretty much always bad to have multiple sources for the same packages…something is bound to break).

Hello mdtiberi.

I am attempting to install ASL on a Centos 5 server running VM/WM. I am running into the clamav problem. I assume it would be best to remove the VM version of clamav before installing the atomic version. I have attempted yum erase clam* and get the following:

=============================================================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Removing:
clamav i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 1.7 M
clamav-data i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 21 M
clamav-filesystem i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 0.0
clamav-lib i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 805 k
clamav-server i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 287 k
clamav-server-sysv i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 0.0
clamav-update i386 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 installed 127 k
Removing for dependencies:
virtualmin-base noarch 1.0-61.rh installed 0.0

Transaction Summary

Install 0 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 8 Package(s)

I do not proceed because of the Removing for dependencies:
virtualmin-base

You seem to have successfully removed the VM version.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

I don’t know anything about ASL or how it or those related packages will affect Virtualmin. So I’m going to assume you know what you’re doing in removing all these packages. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not to do this :slight_smile:

It sounds like yum/rpm is correctly complaining that the virtualmin-base package requires clam, and it’s complaining that one of it’s dependencies is being removed.

If you want to remove it anyway (and you’re fairly sure your packages will work :-), I’d do one of the following:

1. Use “rpm” with the “–nodeps” flag to remove the clam packages, then install the alternative clam packages afterwards

2. Try using your alternative clam version to “upgrade” the Virtualmin packages rather than removing them outright.

Have a good one,

-Eric

Hi wjtech:

You have to use Atomics clamav exclusively if you’re using ASL. I have been running for months with Webmin, ASL, OSSEC, Denyhosts and APF with no problems. Ii just requires some tweaking here and there. I can’t remember everything I did to get my system working correctly but I do recall that the clamav database was looking in the wrong place so you should check your config files.

Good luck