ClamAV Virus Scanning Server keeps stopping

Hi

I have had Virtualmin running at home for a few months on my DSL connection and everything has been fine.

4 days ago I decided to get a VPS(Centos5 64bit) running on virtuozzo so I had better bandwidth.

I have been backing up my domains on my local virtualmin and restoring them onto my VPS virtualmin and thats been going well.

My problem is this I notice that on the VPS the “ClamAV Virus Scanning Server” keeps stopping, I start it and within a few mins its stopped again.

The local VM had 2gb of ram, the VM in the VPS only has 512mb. Could low memory be a problem? Also once or twice a day I have noticed that the BIND server has also stopped :frowning:

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Will

The local VM had 2gb of ram, the VM in the VPS only has 512mb. Could low memory be a problem? Also once or twice a day I have noticed that the BIND server has also stopped

Yeah, chances are you’re running into memory constraints. You can verify that by looking in the messages log and possibly the dmesg output for signs of RAM related issues.

One thing you might consider is to go into Email Messages -> Spam and Virus scanning, and to change SpamAssassin and ClamAV to not use the daemon, but to instead use the command line program. That’ll offer you some additional RAM if you aren’t getting large amounts of email.

However, some VPS’s don’t setup any swap; and trying to run a fully loaded server with 512MB of RAM and no swap is asking a lot :slight_smile: You’ll have to do some tuning to find ways to reduce memory usage.

-Eric

Thanks for the fast reply, I have just requested the hosting co increase my Ram to 1gb to see if that makes a difference.

WIll