ClamAV 0.96 from other repo

Hi,

As the version 0.96 of the ClamAV package for CentOS is not ready yet and I need it badly, I was wondering if it was OK to add the RPMforge repo to the repos on my machine and upgrade ClamAV using the package in that repo.

I assume that all config files will be trated ok, but I want to be sure that it does not break anything.

In case you advise me not to do that, could you please give me an estimate of the availability of the ClamAV 0.96.x package ?

Thanks

Hi Guzabi,

I think that it has been updated - at least one of my servers running the GPL version of Virtualmin has updated.

Still waiting for the Pro version to update though…

Paul

No it has not, sorry :

[code]# yum info clamav
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Reducing CentOS-5 Testing to included packages only
Finished
Installed Packages
Name : clamav
Arch : x86_64
Version : 0.95.2
Release : 1.vm.el5
Size : 1.8 M
Repo : installed

yum update clamav

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Reducing CentOS-5 Testing to included packages only
Finished
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

yum list available | grep clamav

clamav-data-empty.x86_64 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 virtualmin
clamav-devel.x86_64 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 virtualmin
clamav-milter.x86_64 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 virtualmin
clamav-milter-sysv.x86_64 0.95.2-1.vm.el5 virtualmin
[/code]

I’m using CentOS 5.4

The packages appear to be in the Pro repo – if you aren’t seeing them, there may be a problem with the repo metadata. You might consider opening a bug report to that effect.

In the meantime, since it sounds like you’re in a hurry, you can always just manually download the latest clamav-* packages from the software repo, and use rpm to upgrade them from the command line.

-Eric

I’m using VM GPL, so I don’t have access to the pro repo.

I hope what I’m reading here does not mean that you delay availability of packages for the GPL users ! I mean, delaying the availability of antivirus software is a serious security issue regarding the GPL version of Virtualmin ! I do understand that GPL has to have disadvantages (less features, features available later, etc) but I would totally not understand that security-related updates sould get delayed.

However there was a direct question in my first post, which has not been answered :

What happens if I enable the rpmforge repo and update ClamAV using the package available in that repo? Does this break something in the setup that was made by Virtualmin installer?

Thanks for answering that question. And also, maybe, to confort me that Virtualmin GPL does not treat security-related updates lightly…

Nobody said anything about a delay… in fact, pixel_paul said it’s working in GPL but not Pro :slight_smile:

The 0.96 packages exist in both repos.

Since it’s working for him on his GPL-based system, I’d double-check that running a “yum update” on the command line doesn’t pull in newer the newer ClamAV packages.

If it does not, I still recommend filing a support request using the Support link above, as the repo metadata may not be working.

Lastly, I do not recommend using the RPMForge ClamAV packages. RPMForge packages have a number of incompatabilities with Virtualmin’s packages, and will likely only further cause problems. A simple way around this would be to manually download the packages from the GPL repo, and install them using “rpm” on the command line.

-Eric

Hi again Eric,

Thanks for the advice about RPMforge, I won’t use that repo.

As for the ClamAV 0.96 package, I’m really sorry to contradict you all, but the package DOES NOT exist in the repo. If you don’t beleive me, please click the URL below : it’s the repo where I should manually download if would I want to manually install :

http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/rhel/5.4/x86_64/

No ClamAV-0.96 of any kind in here. It does in fact exist for i386, but I’m using x86_64. So my question remains the same as in my first post : when will ClamAV 0.96.x be available (extended : for CentOS 5.4 x86_64) ?

Thanks

Howdy,

My suggestion is to file a bug report, using the Support link above :slight_smile:

You’re right, it’s not in there, and I was only looking at the i386 repo.

However, whether it’s a metadata issue, or an issue of the package not being in 64bit – the way to get it resolved would be to notify Joe via a support request, and he’ll look into what’s wrong with that… as well as keep you in the loop as far as what’s awry and the timeframe to get it resolved.

-Eric

its not in the 64bit repo…

i386 repo:

clamav-0.96-1.vm.el5.i386.rpm 10-May-2010 17:05 906K

which is probably why my 64bit pro system hasnt upgraded.

Please see this bug report : http://www.virtualmin.com/node/14350

By the way, it’s been over a week since I posted this, and ClamAV 0.96 is still not available. It’s gettins a little annoying! The most important thing with antiviruses is keeping them updated. How can we do that if Virtualmin commands us to use the proprietary version of the ClamAV package and don’t update it quickly?

Bump. I can’t beleive it’s been over a month since I first noticed ClamAV 0.96.x was missing. Is it THAT difficult to get the x64 bit working? Can I help? How will it be up? I think everybody will agree that the most important thing in an antivirus is to have it UPDATED, otherwise it’s no use…