Changing the identification of issue/issue.net for the installation process

Hi,

I’m wondering if when I will change the OS identification in /etc/issue(issue.net) and start the automated installation script then will it install anyway?

In my case I use Debian Jessie testing which isn’t supported yet by the virtualmin but if I would change my /etc/issue from:

jessie/sid

to:

wheezy

Would it work for the installation process? Could I change it back after the installation? What consequences will be for such act?

Howdy,

You could try that, and it may trick the install into continuing, though I’d be a little surprised if it actually ends up working. Usually we need to do a decent amount of work to support a given distribution release.

However, you could get lucky, so if you don’t mind experimenting, go ahead and see what happens :slight_smile:

And it’s no problem to change /etc/issue back after you perform the install.

-Eric

I’ve edited /etc/debian_version (cause install.sh checks the version with os_list.txt).

The OS veryfications goes past but the problem is with the dependencies:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libapache2-mod-ruby : Depends: apache2.2-common but it is not going to be insta
lled

I even tried to add Wheezy’s repositories, stil not working. Any clues Eric how to trick the installation? :slight_smile:

Yeah this is the part that makes supporting new distros tricky – sorting out all the dependency issues :slight_smile:

Package names can change from one distro version to the next, as can what packages are even included.

To resolve that, you would need to edit the install.sh, and tweak what packages it’s trying to install. Perhaps you could tell it not to install some packages, or to install some other package.

Is there any reason you’re trying to install that Debian version, out of curiosity? I suppose I’m wondering if you might have more luck installing Debian 7, and then adding the specific components you need to the stable Debian version.

-Eric

The reason is simple - I want to test it, I like to “break” things and see how it works. By breaking and repairing you get to know the things better.

Probably I will give up eventualy and will install the latest Wheezy but since I have a time and lust for it - I’m doing it :slight_smile:

So the install.sh is trying to download still Wheezy’s Apache… Ok, will try it :slight_smile:

Well, you may want to start by removing “libapache2-mod-ruby” from the list of packages it’s attempting to install (in the “depdeps” line near the top).

It sounds like libapache2-mod-ruby has a dependency for an Apache version that doesn’t exist on Debian 8.

-Eric

I must say Eric this worked like a charm :slight_smile:

Now will start to test it out