Changing default nameservers

Hi,

I installed the virtualmin recently and add “mydomain.com” in main name servers during the post installation wizard.

Now i wanted to change them to “ns1.domain.com” and “ns2.domain.com

i read some threads where it was mentioned to go to System Settings > Server Templates > Bind DNS domain and add “ns1.domain.com” in M"aster DNS server hostname" and “ns2.domain.com” in “Additional manually configured nameservers”

I did this but got an error that additional ns2 nameserver dont exist

I searched again and find that i have to add ns1.domain and ns2.domain in Webmin > Networking > Network Configuration > Host Address

i added new host record and add “ns1.domain.com” and “ns2.domain.com” to the IP.

Now I can see the ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com in DNS records but its showing me the error that ns1.domain.com doesn’t resolve to any IP address.

any one can help please

Did you create an A record for name servers? NS records are only pointers to A records, and so they merely delegate authority for the zone to the servers listed. They don’t actually define the name to IP mapping.

Hi joe,

I am not talking bout the PRIVATE NAME SERVERS where you have to manually put A servers against the NS records.

I am talking about the default config. In my new server I just added ns1.domain.com as primary nameserver in post installation wizard and ns2.domain.com as additional nameserver.
Its working fine.