Change website domain name issue

getting error now I have changed the domain name of a virtual website in virtualmin the error in the browser is:

“The page isn’t redirecting properly, Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.”

I used the facility in virtualmin to change the domain name of the website, I also edited the wordpress settings beforehand to reflect the new domain name. Any pointers would be appreciated.

there is more things to be taken into account when changing your domain name. Wordpress itself uses this too, and now is likely looping you back and forth between the two domain names.

take a look at some of the tutorials on “wordpress how to change domain names”
as an example one of the first google results: How to Change Your Domain Name on WordPress

Make sure to have backups of your files and database before you take any steps,

Steven

You need to change the address in your general configuration setting in Wordpress to match the new domain name.

Let’s say your domain was mydomain.com. In the Wordpress general section, it would have your address as http://mydomain.com and below that probably the same thing.

But then you switched the domain in Virtualmin to yourdomain.com. Well, now when the DNS goes to that address and hits Wordpress, the general settings in Wordpress are telling it to go to mydomain.com.

So the two just bounce each other back and forth.

If you’re ever going to change a domain name on an already existing Wordpress, the thing to do is always change the settings in the general tab of Wordpress FIRST. Then you can change the DNS on your Virtual Server.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.