CentOs 8 --> RH 8

Noticed an unofficial process online to convert CentOs 8 to RedHat 8. With the recent announcement, RH dev license now includes production. Thought it would be a no brainer to try. I am reluctant to switch to Debian/Ubuntu hence I will try RH 8 or Stream and see how it goes. More to the point, anybody doing this conversion or is it backup --> new build --> import backups process (the long way around). Appreciate your view.

@Whoops,

I could be wrong, but last time I checked converting a system from CentOS to RedHat while they use the same core software isn’t possible. You’ll likely need to build a fresh install of RedHat then import your content onto it. Also it should be noted I believe the new RHEL licensing doesn’t take effect til Feb 1st.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

It should already be available when logging in to your developer account (they said February 1st the latest). Both me and a few of my colleagues already had it showing 16 licenses. Not that I use it, but still…

Most likely they will have some sort of migration feature. AlmaLinux and Oracle claim they are able to do it, why wouldn’t RH.

@toreskev,

Good to know regarding the license grants.

As for the “migration” question, apparently RedHat has written an article on the topic, literally about 2 hours ago.

Just to clarify, yes, they do seem to have made it possible to migration from CentOS.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

1 Like

Yeah, license is visible in my portal. Guess migration process will be updated next few weeks/months or made easier for people like me.

heh we’ve seen that news yesterday as well.
We have migrated 6 systems to Oracle Linux 8 with success, we are now considering taking full advantage of the new Red Hat offering and have a mix with Oracle and Red Hat.
They’re all Enterprise Linux practically the same. We are very happy with the results of the migrations and the new systems.