CentOS 8 - Fix for sendmail module tossing errors during setup

Most of us probably rely on sendmail emulation from Postfix or some other MTA. But if you need to use Webmin’s sendmail module and encounter errors while setting it up, the installation may not be complete.

For errors about a missing /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and/or m4 command, verify that the following package is installed after installing Webmin’s module.

Name         : sendmail-cf
Version      : 8.15.2
Release      : 32.el8
Architecture : noarch
Size         : 198 k
Source       : sendmail-8.15.2-32.el8.src.rpm
Repository   : AppStream
Summary      : The files needed to reconfigure Sendmail
URL          : http://www.sendmail.org/
License      : Sendmail
Description  : This package includes the configuration files you need to
             : generate the sendmail.cf file distributed with the sendmail
             : package. You will need the sendmail-cf package if you ever need
             : to reconfigure and rebuild your sendmail.cf file.

Running

dnf install sendmail-cf

actually installs two missing pieces.

(1/2): m4-1.4.18-7.el8.x86_64.rpm 
(2/2): sendmail-cf-8.15.2-32.el8.noarch.rpm

Why would you need to use the Webmin Sendmail module if Postfix is the MTA? Postfix includes a sendmail command (for CLI compatibility with tools that expect a sendmail command), but the Webmin Sendmail module doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Yes, I know and thought I acknowledged this in the first sentence. But I guess the second sentence could have been clearer. To answer why, I suppose there are folks who prefer traditional sendmail if they don’t want a full blown mail system.

1 Like

Ah, OK. Virtualmin does support sendmail (in fact, I think Jamie still uses sendmail on his servers). But, I can’t really recommend it.

I never intended to use it. I was checking out the module for a couple reasons. I hadn’t looked at sendmail in long time and was curious; and I was trouble shooting Fail2ban (my other post). If F2B failed with the old sendmail then I could eliminate Postfix as the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.