CentOS 6 - ClamAV Outdated ... again

I have a few clients who use Logwatch and they keep bugging me about ClamAV being outdated. I know that EPEL offers the same clamav packages that Virtualmin does.

Are the clamav packages provided by Virtualmin special in any way? I was thinking of allowing ClamAV to update from the epel repository. (adding the appropriate syntax to only allow clamav* from epel)

I looked at them and they seemed to have come from one of the fedora repositories.

WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED! WARNING: Local version: 0.97.6 Recommended version: 0.98

Howdy,

That message is normal, and is safe to ignore.

It occurs on all distros, even ones where Virtualmin doesn’t provide the ClamAV package.

One of my favorite explanations of that issue is this one here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/351721/clamav-continues-to-say-that-my-definitions-are-outdated

If you wish to use an alternate ClamAV version though, EPEL is a good place to start.

I think that version should work correctly, though I’d suggest testing it on a test system, or a lightly used system, before making changes on a large production server.

-Eric

So far so good, the packages that come from Virtualmin seem to be the exact same thing provided by EPEL.

Fantastic!

It wouldn’t surprise me if all Joe did was grab the ones from EPEL on occasion and move them into Virtualmin.

There’s certainly nothing special done with them, they’re only pulled in because CentOS doesn’t have it’s own ClamAV packages.

-Eric