Capacity Problems

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

On occasion my growing server, which has been running very smoothly for a long time is getting the above browser message. Restarting Apache clears it up.

Can someone tip me off to what the capacity problem could be that I’m hitting?


The error_log shows: Too many open files: mod_fcgid

I search this forum for the above error and got some possible solutions. I try what’s mentioned here:


Yup, that solution there is perfect for you, that should take care of the issue.

If you continue to see that, feel free to post back here and we’ll try a couple of other things.

Have a good one!


Thanks Eric!

I see in the error_log that 10 hours later I got the “Too many open files: mod_fcgid” error again. It was very short lived this time and cleared up on it’s own.

I saw in another post, which I can’t seem to find right now that a line was also added to another conf file, maybe the httpd file. Is there something else I should do here?


Happened again, but was only effecting the site named in the error. Didn’t stop until I restarted Apache.

[Fri Sep 09 17:57:59 2011] [error] (24)Too many open files: mod_fcgid: couldn’t set child process attributes: /etc/httpd/run/mod_fcgid/28083.991
[Fri Sep 09 17:57:59 2011] [warn] (24)Too many open files: mod_fcgid: spawn process /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/index.php error


I found your advise here:
Okay, just to make certain that the file limit is “taking” properly, try editing /etc/init.d/httpd, and add this somewhere near the top (not the first line, but perhaps shortly after that):

ulimit -n 16384

And then restart Apache with:

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Posted by andreychek on Mon, 2010-09-06 10:57

And have added that.



Yeah, that’s the next step.

I hate doing that, as I’d like to think there’s a solution to this which doesn’t involve changing the init script.

But I don’t always have luck changing the limits.conf file, even though that should in theory work… so modifying the init script should take care of that issue for you :slight_smile:


Just wanted to report back that it looks like that did the trick.