Cant upgrade Webmin/Virtualmin installation (no module present)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Server 22.04.3
Webmin version 2.001
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91
Virtualmin Version 7.3-1

Im trying to upgrade my installation to in turn have security patches, new features and be able to access Mariadb on the web interface, since upgrading to the last version(of MariaDB) broke the plugin.
I did my installation with the setup.sh script back in the day and im running a server version of ubuntu, so no GUIs for the system itself.

I saw on the docs and forums that i should have a “Upgrade Webmin” plugin under Webmin Configuration, but i dont. I looked to see if i can just install it but could not find anything. I found the “update-from-repo.sh” on the GH repo but that gave me another problem: “Webmin detected … Error: the current dir does not contain a valid webmin or usermin installation, aborting …”
Even though i am in the dir(i think, i might be wrong)

Am I indeed in the wrong dir? Is there another way i can just upgrade my system? I am also running Virtualmin which (if i recall correctly) i installed after webmin.

Thank you for your time.

You should not. If you installed Webmin as part of Virtualmin, you should update Webmin from the Virtualmin repositories. (We hide that option in Webmin because you shouldn’t use it if you’re using Virtualmin.)

You definitely should not do that.

Stop, back up.

How did you install Virtualmin? Did you use our install script? If so, you should always upgrade using the system package manager, apt in your case.

If you installed using the Virtualmin install script (which is the recommended and documented way to install it) and you don’t see available updates (2.105 is the current version in the Virtualmin repos), it means you’ve disabled the Virtualmin repository in your apt configuration.

Maybe you upgraded your OS from an earlier version, which automatically disables third-party repositories. You should re-enable them.

Yeah i actually did a ““version”” upgrade from 22.04 to ~.3

let me check if they are disabled.

Thank you lots for your help

i see the repos in apt, but i dont see them get checked on update or upgrade actions. I think you are right. Im gonna try to enable them

last question before i actually pull the trigger:

Is this normal?

W: http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-focal/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
W: http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-universal/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

Are the repos outdated?

No. But, you’ve upgraded from focal.

The Virtualmin 7 repos won’t have this warning (the Virtualmin 6 repos predate this change in apt), but there’s no reason to change repos. You won’t get anything new or different from the Virtualmin 7 repos. The /vm/6 repos will be maintained until some time after Virtualmin 8 is released.

Ok, i will be updating from that.

THANK YOU a lot, i would not have realised that

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.