Can't setup backup in webmin

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.3
Webmin version 2.105

Trying to setup a Filesystem Backup to a remote device.
Backup to host: and
Device: /Temp/backup

Get message: /usr/sbin/rmt: No such file or directory

Searched and can find nothing relevant.
Thanks,
John.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/rmt

Is that actually what you intend to be using?

Sorry, bit slow to respond…
Was just trying to use the “built-in” backup within Webmin. ie: Menu > System > Filesystem Backup, and to test it, attempting to back the “/home//.config” directory to a remote (but local network) system.
So, the usage of the rmt app must be internal to the Webmin backup…?
Thanks.

No, that’s the type of backup you chose. You need to choose something else; rmt (part of the rsh set of tools) probably hasn’t been used by anyone in a decade or two. ssh would be a reasonable choice.

@Jamie, we should probably simply remove rsh as an option in that form, as it’s simply confusing (and having it labeled “Default” after all this time is wild).

1 Like

Also, see the docs, this is covered: Filesystem Backup | Webmin

Yeah we can remove rsh as an option. However, I think that even when using ssh the tar command still expects to be able to run rmt remotely…

I can’t imagine that’s still necessary. GNU tar has a --rsh-command option, and I’d be stunned if anything still maintained depends on rsh (people have been recommending against its use since the late 90s or early 00s).

Yes, was trying to use the ssh option… but, I did then investigate, found the location of rmt, and edited the backup - then worked…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.