Can't restore backups

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.4
Webmin version 1.840
Virtualmin version 1.991
Related packages SUGGESTED

After updating two of our servers yesterday they both stopped working. They are solid machine in service less than a year with state-of-the-art hardware and strangely, the updates seem to have effected then in two different ways. On one, the web server won’t start and the other mySQL won’t start.

I thought to restore some sites to another machine but even that did not go as expected. I have a new error I have not seen before.

Re-loading MySQL database website …
… gunzip failed!
gzip: /tmp/.webmin/66637_28217_1_restore.cgi/website.com_mysql_website: Permission denied

So now even the restore does does not work. Suggestions would be most welcome. Even after setting permissions on the directory where the .gz backups are, and the /tmp directory where they appear to be going - to 777, I still get the error. When you count on backups working and they don’t, it is getting pretty discouraging. Even after years of running many pro virtualmin servers, and having largely success with them, I have to admit I am not all that good at Ubuntu - which seems so security focused it drives me crazy. CentOS - piece of cake. Ubuntu - a pain in the ass. Some of you better than I would probably know what to do. Thoughts anyone?

See Restoration of virtual servers fails - gunzip failure v2

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.