Can't Log Into MySQL with Root

Hello! I’ve run into a problem with MySQL and the root password. It started recently, not sure when - everything worked fine a few weeks ago.

But now when I try to add a new server, I get this error:

Failed to create virtual server : DBI connect failed : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I have gone into Webmin > MySQL > Module Config, and changed some settings there. First I changed the root password, and clicked Save. It took me to a login page, but when i type the password in there, it doesn’t work. Then I set the login from Automatic to root, and tried changing the password to something else again - still no dice and it still won’t let me log in to MySQL.

I then went to double-check the settings in /etc/webmin/mysql/config. The password listed there was the last one I’d tried to change it to via Webmin - and just to experiment, I tried changing it in Webmin again, and it updated in config. So updating the password definitely works - yet it still won’t let me log in with that password as the root user. I then also tried logging in via SSH:

mysql -u root -p

but again, when I type the password in, it just gives me an incorrect username/password error.

Any ideas what might be wrong here? MySQL is up and running fine, all my sites are using it no problems - it just seems to be the root account that can’t login somehow!

Howdy,

Well, what you described when running this command seems to be the issue:

mysql -u root -p

So long as that doesn’t work – that means the password is unknown.

The key is to figure out what your MySQL password is currently set to… which could potentially be tricky :slight_smile:

If you can’t determine what your password is, the next step would be to perform the steps to reset your MySQL root password. Let us know if you need those and I can look that up.

-Eric

Well, I thought /etc/webmin/mysql/config would show me the password? There’s an entry in there for password, and it updates when I change it in WebMin. That’s the one I’ve been trying, but mysql won’t accept it.

Looks like I might need the steps to reset it?

Well, what’s in /etc/webmin/mysql/config isn’t the actual password, but what Webmin thinks the password is.

Now, normally, that’s also the actual password.

But in this case, when Webmin/Virtualmin tries to authenticate with MySQL, it’s not working… so that means whatever it has in /etc/webmin/mysql/config isn’t correct.

You should be able to use this guide here (it mentions Debian, but this should work on any distro) to reset your MySQL root password:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/442

Ah - following that link you gave me, fixed it. Followed their instructions and managed to reset the password - VirtualMin is now letting me create servers again as normal! :slight_smile: