Cannot write to directory /etc/webmin/virtual-server/

I’m trying to set up server templates, the default template for Directives and settings for new websites and I get this error.

As far as I can tell that directory exists as it should, I’ve even tried giving it 777 permissions so anything can write to it just so I can get past this step. What else could cause it to fail to write? Does virtualmin keep an error log somewhere that I can get a more verbose message?

I’m no novice to linux admin, but I don’t know where to look for what virtualmin is failing on here. I could make all my virtualhost entries manually but that’s kind of counter to the point.

running Virtualmin 3.75 gpl on Debian Lenny.

Hmm, I’ve never seen Virtualmin have problems writing to that dir. Virtualmin runs as root, so it in theory should have permission to write anywhere it likes.

I suppose my two questions are:

1. How did you go about installing it? Had you used the install.sh script?

2. Are you using something like SELinux on your server?

Regarding logs – you can take a peek in /var/webmin/miniserv.error, that may have some further info in it.

-Eric

I did run install.sh to get it installed. I notice I didn’t have default templates for domains like some people have mentioned having.

Unfortunately all I’ve got in miniserv.error is:

Error: Cannot write to directory /etc/webmin/virtual-server/

I have not isntalled SELinux, but I went ahead and put selinux=0 in my grub config and rebooted just to be sure.

I received the same error when installing via the install.sh script, on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (64bit).

Initially, it threw a proftpd error. After I installed it manually, via apt-get, I received these errors.

Here’s what I tried to get it working:

1. I did a mkdir to create the “virtual-server” folder and touch to create the missing config file.

2. After doing the above, I received the following errors: “Missing file to read at webalizer::/usr/share/webmin/webalizer/webalizer-lib.pl line 50” and “Error: flush_file_lines called on non-loaded file /etc/webalizer.conf”

3. Copied /etc/webalizer/webalizer.conf to /etc/webalizer.conf

This let it install without errors, but I couldn’t access virtualmin via the Internet, and rebooting the server resulted in me getting a “connection refused” from SSH. I’m guessing something was screwed in the iptables install.

I’ll try again after a reload.

It’s really odd that you’d see those errors after a fresh install.

How much RAM do you have? And are you by chance using a VPS of some kind?

-Eric

4GB of ram. No VPS.

Server Stats:

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
C2Quad processor
4GB ram

The only thing I did, prior to trying to install Virtualmin was do an apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade. I neglected to mention that I was able to access Usermin after it completed the install, and “service webmin restart/start/stop” seemed to work, but going to “https://domain:10000” failed.

I tried “service virtualmin start/restart” as well, but get an error to the effect of “service does not exist”. There also wasn’t a “virtualmin” folder in “/etc/webmin”. I’ve never paid attention before, so I don’t know if there was supposed to be one there.

Hrm, the trouble is trying to figure out what’s a cause, and what’s a symptom :slight_smile:

I’d be curious what all you see if you type:

find /etc/webmin

If you could attach that as a text file, that’d be super.

One of the things I’m curious about is if the /etc/webmin/virtual-server directory exists.

And if so, are you able to create files in it manually, as root?

Just some thoughts… thanks,

-Eric

It doesn’t exist. As I stated in my original post, I created the folder then the underlying config file. After running the install again, the config file was populated with information.

Here’s the screencap. I blanked out the .acl file with my name.

Here’s the find command.

I just tried the install.sh script again, and received the same problems. Again, it’s a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (64 bit).

Webmin was installed on port 2536, and going to the https://myserver:2536 gave me the webmin login page, but none of my accounts were able to log in. I created a new account and tried it, but it resulted in Webmin denying my IP address.

Apt-get also tries to install virtualmin (and dependencies), each time I run it for an unrelated package.

I’m going to try to reload it on my own, using a network (remote) reinstall, instead of my hosts “reload” feature. I didn’t have luck with this the last time I tried it, but I guess it won’t hurt now.

I’ve attached the log file from my attempted install. (with domain information removed)

(modified file to removed my domain info)

You know…I just reread the OP’s post. My error is slightly different, in that the folder doesn’t exist. I can create the folder, and write to it. The install file seems to not create it, causing this initial error:

Setting up webmin-virtual-server (3.76.gpl) …

Error: Failed to open /etc/webmin/virtual-server/plans/0 for writing : Bad file descriptor
Error

Failed to open /etc/webmin/virtual-server/plans/0 for writing : Bad file descriptor

It goes and installs a bunch of stuff until it errors here:

Configuring Virtualmin
Error: Failed to open /etc/webmin/virtual-server/config for writing : Bad file descriptor
Error

…then it bombs out.

Well…I just loaded my server with CentOS 5. The install went through, but I still had the same issue as before. It also installed on a weird port: 7292.

I ended up running the install.sh --uninstall, then installing webmin from the RPM. I then installed Virtualmin and Usermin from within Webmin. I kick myself for not thinking about this before, because I prefer Ubuntu.

I don’t know what could’ve caused my issues with the install script.

Yeah, I’ve never heard of any of that happening before, and in talking to Jamie, we’re kind of short on ideas :slight_smile:

The best I can offer is that, if you have an install that you’re seeing this error on, one of us could log in and take a peek around to see if we can find anything that appears to be triggering that problem.

-Eric

I’ll load a virtual server, and see if I have the same problem. If I do, I’ll let you guys know.