Cannot install Virtualmin GPL - ERROR: cannot verify software.virtualmin.com's certificate

Hello i have ubuntu-20.04-x86_64 i cannot install virtualmin because of the following error:

root@vip:~# ./install.sh
ERROR: cannot verify software.virtualmin.com's certificate, issued by 'CN=R3,O=Let\'s Encrypt,C=US':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to software.virtualmin.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
chmod: cannot access 'slib.sh': No such file or directory
./install.sh: 297: .: Can't open ./slib.sh
root@vip:~#

i tried changing and using --no-check-certificate but it won’t work because of ./install.sh: 297: .: Can’t open ./slib.sh error

i have tried reinstalling my vps multiple times and that’s not working I’m lost on what to do

Hello @Failip420 and welcome to the community.

Thanks for pointing out the error in detail and I do believe that it has just been fixed.

Could you try installing Virtualmin again, please. You will not see this error again.

Oh, you should install on a fresh server, you had best not install Virtualmin over the last failed install.

I just did and I am still getting the same error

I concluded from the date of renewal of the cert (i.e. it was renewed today) that you might have accessed the URL just before the cert was renewed. If you are still seeing the error, you should wait for @Ilia or the other admins to look into it and respond.

no idea

I am experiencing the same error on a fresh ubuntu@20.04 installation:

root@gamera:~# sudo /bin/sh install.sh
ERROR: cannot verify software.virtualmin.com's certificate, issued by ‘CN=R3,O=Let's Encrypt,C=US’:
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to software.virtualmin.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
chmod: cannot access 'slib.sh': No such file or directory
install.sh: 297: .: Can't open ./slib.sh

Same problem for me, also attempting to install on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 installation on a VPS. Apologies for posting about this separately before I found this thread.

same issue for me , ive been facing this issue on my linux vps (centos8), i just gave another try now but still the status is the same , secured connection is visible now but still its not getting installed through ssh (putty)

Try this, then install:
wget -qO- http://software.virtualmin.com/lib/RPM-GPG-KEY-virtualmin-6 | sudo apt-key add -

Thanks for your suggestion, really appreciated. In fact I have been able to install Virtualmin onto both Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 servers tonight without issue, so I guess the original certificate issue has been resolved.

My solution, then, may well have had nothing to do with it. The certificates were probably fully updated tonight. Thanks for reply, though.

This was fixed yesterday. No need for workarounds.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.