Cannot add users to protected directories

Hi

I can no longer add users to protected directories. I can select the directory but when I click the arrow nothing happens; In the Chrome debug console it throws this error:

list_users.cgi?dom=15943161092502&xnavigation=1:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: multi_select_move is not defined
at HTMLButtonElement.onclick (list_users.cgi?dom=15943161092502&xnavigation=1:1)

I’ve updated virtualmin & webmin. Rebooted. Tried from a different brower in incognito mode. It’s all the same; This also happens for every user in every virtual server.

What’s wrong?

Hi,

Could you provide a screenshot of the page please? It seems to work alright for me…

Hi

thanks for the reply (sorry for my delay). Here goes. On a 2nd Virtualmin server (same setup, sames components, some config) it also still works. Only on this server it fails. I can work around it but it’s very annoying :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Please make sure that you really installed latest Virtualmin and restart Webmin manually, just in case:

/etc/webmin/restart

I did… :slight_smile: And restarted the server afterwards (and again after the last updates)

Try incognito window, perhaps browser is caching something wrong?

Check that the recent packages on the server that is failing are really installed?

Other than that, send me a private message, and I will login and take a look.

thanks. Incognito is the same so that’s not it either. I’ll send a PM.

“Check that the recent packages on the server that is failing are really installed?”
=> how?

one thing I didn’t do is removing + reinstalling webmin. Is it as easy as

yum remove webmin
yum install webmin

will this affect the websites running on it?

That is something you shouldn’t do!

Try -

yum list wb*

Oh gods no! Don’t ever do that!

1 Like

yum list wb*

Installed Packages
wbm-jailkit.noarch 0.1-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-php-pear.noarch 2:1.6-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-ruby-gems.noarch 2:1.9-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtual-server.noarch 3:6.10.gpl-2 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-awstats.noarch 2:5.11-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-dav.noarch 2:3.13-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-git.noarch 1.14-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-htpasswd.noarch 2:2.11-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-init.noarch 2:2.10-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-registrar.noarch 2:2.10-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-slavedns.noarch 2:1.13-1 @virtualmin-universal
wbm-virtualmin-sqlite.noarch 1.8-1 @virtualmin-universal
Available Packages
wbox.x86_64 5-8.el7 epel

by the way: thank you for time here! Really appreciate it.

…and what is Webmin version? Is there a way for me just login and have a look?

erhm you can, I’ll create a login & send it in PM
By the way: I worked around it using the terminal to create the .htuser file.
Webmin verion is 1.953

I see there’s a webmin update ready. I’ll deploy that first. Keep you posted here;

I am having the same issue on two new servers freshly set up today, so I can tell you the update won’t help.

Well… in my case the update did work (note: usermin, webmin, virtualmin update, not the Kerner & Grub updates due to the boot issue)

I also worked around it by using the terminal to generate the .htuser files

Well… in my case the update did work (note: usermin, webmin, virtualmin update, not the Kerner & Grub updates due to the boot issue)

Correct!

You simply need to install updates selectively for now - only Webmin, Usermin, Virtualmin and its modules, if available. It will fix this issue with select on Edit User page.

Sorry for the unfounded assumption. I was just thinking that the update wouldn’t solve the problem because I installed the latest versions of everything yesterday.

To clarify, I set up two Ubuntu 20.04 servers yesterday and installed Virtualmin using the new installer that supports 20.04. Both servers have this problem with configuring protected directories. I’m working around it via the terminal too.