cannot access sftp via ip address

I am having problems with a server.

I have no virtulamin access to it…only google cloud shell access at this stage.

The server has no domain name attached to it…only public ip address

I am trying to connect via sftp but it is refusing to allow me access via ip address even though the username and password im sure are correct

(i can access the server from google cloud console using exact same ssh username and password i am trying in filezilla).

All i want to do is download a single backup file from the public_html directory via google cloud ssh console (web browser ssh access via googel cloud) to my desktop pc.

Howdy,

What error are you receiving?

And which user are you attempting to log in as?

Note that some systems disable the root user from SSH/SFTP access by default; does using another user that has SSH/SFTP access work any differently?

-Eric

I have it sorted now…somehow i managed to find an existing virtualmin account allocated to one of the original virtual servers, which fortunately had root level access, that worked.

I would have been a little stuffed if not for that account.

I guess what i was expecting is that after creating a new instance the google cloud administrative user would work…but it didnt for some reason (even though said account was used to setup original server that snapshot was taken from and was a system user prior to running the original virtualmin install script).

once i got root sftp access in filezilla, accessing /home/virtualserver/public_html/wordpress.tar.gz backup became easy.