Can Virtualmin be set up line this

i would like to have the server set up like

eth0 1.1.1.1 management IP for the box and SSH for me the admin eth0:1 1.1.1.2 DNS Service Eth0:2 1.1.1.3 Web Hosting WWW access to clients sites etc eth0:3 1.1.1.4 SMTP eth0: 1.1.1.5 Imap/POP

right thats the first bit can virtual min work on the differant interfaces as above

the secound bit is can i then once i have some additional servers can i brake off eth0:1 1…1.2 and stick it on to the other server as eth0:1 dns etc …

also can you tell me how if this is possible?

Howdy,

Well, by default – DNS, SMTP (Postfix), IMAP/POP (Dovecot), and SSH listen on every IP address on the server, rather than being tied to one specific IP address.

But, you can add additional IP addresses to your server by going into Webmin -> Networking -> Network Configuration -> Network Interfaces.

Websites running on Apache do indeed use one specific IP by default. That IP address is shared amongst all the websites (unless it’s told otherwise).

Could you tie those daemons to one specific IP, rather than having them listen on all IP addresses? Yes, but you’d have to manually reconfigure each of their config files to do that. I’d probably suggest having them listen on all interfaces as they do by default :slight_smile:

Can you later use one of those IP addresses on another server as a secondary DNS server? Sure! Instructions for setting up a secondary DNS are here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/slave-configuration

The question indeed is, what would be the advantage of having a separate IP per service? That is usually what port numbers are for, in terms of e.g. setting up firewall rules. IP addresses identify hosts, not services.

The exception is SSL websites, which do need a separate IP each, due to the way the SSL setup works.

im just thinking that i have a box set up with virtualmin, well two boxes NS1 and NS2 and i would like to later add some more servers to my “cluster” so NS1, NS2, WWW, Email, and maybe a front end for all of this and i just wanted to no assign the IP to the box and have all the services run on that one IP but rather assign a Management IP for the BOX and then Virtual Eth0:1 interfaces with the other IPs on, then i can move the IP to another box and it should then be easyer etc …

i currently have

NS1
eth0 1.1.1.1 as management
eth0:1 1.1.1.2 WWW, SMTP, POP/IMAP, DNS

NS2
eth0 1.1.1.3 as management
eth0:1 1.1.1.4 WWW, SMTP, POP/IMAP, DNS

but on a upcoming project i want to define IPs to the virtual Eth addresses and use some thing like

UPCOMINGSERVER01
eth0 1.1.1.1 Management
eth0:1 1.1.1.2 WWW
eth0:2 1.1.1.3 SMTP
eth0:3 1.1.1.4 POP/IMAP
eth0:4 1.1.1.5 DNS

UPCOMINGSERVER02
eth0 1.1.1.6 Management
eth0:1 1.1.1.7 WWW
eth0:2 1.1.1.8 SMTP
eth0:3 1.1.1.9 POP/IMAP
eth0:4 1.1.1.10 DNS

Also if later on in a differant project i wanted to have WWW, DNS, SMTP, IMAP/POP on all serperate boxes is there a central web admin panel that i can enter all the details on to and it then assigns all the services out to the differant servers etc …