Can send mail from contact form to Gmail but not to local mailbox

Système d’exploitation CentOS Linux 8.5.2111
Version Webmin 1.984 Version Usermin 1.834
Version Virtualmin 6.17

Hello,
I installed webmin / virtualmin on a VPS and I installed 3 sites that work with Wordpress.
On each site I have a contact form with an address to receive messages such as contact@mydomain.fr
But the messages from the form are never received (?? sent)
To test, I changed the address using a gmail.com adresse and the message from the form has been received.
Could you tell me where this anomaly came from. Thanks for your help. I wish you a good day.

You are able to send mail from the domains that you are hosting on the Virtualmin server and that is good. You should check next if you are able to send an email from Gmail to any of the email addresses that you have created via Virtualmin.

Let is know the outcome, complete with any errors you may see, and include the relevant log entries, so that I and others in the community can assist diagnose and rectify the issue.

Hello @calport,
This is info I found in Webmin / servers/ Reading mail from users

Contenu du Message
This is the mail system at host vps-eff579b5.vps.ovh.net.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

•               The mail system*

philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr: User unknown in virtual alias table

What is the virtual alias table and where can I find it?
Do I have to create in this virtual alias table all adresses that can receive mail from the server?

Thanks for your help.

Right, so host vps-eff579b5.vps.ovh.net is treating philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr as an unknown user. The email address philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr does not exist on host vps-eff579b5.vps.ovh.net

1. Is vps-eff579b5.vps.ovh.net the hostname of your Virtualmin system?

2. In Virtualmin → Edit users do you see the email address philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr in the list of users / email addresses?

Yes vps-eff579b5.vps.ovh.net/ is the hostname of my Virtualmin system
In virtualmin, this is list of users

This is list of alias

Is this help you?

Yes, the screenshot helped.

Here is what you need to do to receive mail for the email address philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr

In Virtualmin → Edit Users, click on Create User (if memory serves) and then enter the appropriate information to create a user philippe.ronzevalle.

You will then be able to receive email for philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr. You can read email via Usermin.

I have made changes that you explain to me but there is something that I do not understand.

I have configured my philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr email address on the Outlook software.
If someone sends me a message, I get it. but if this message comes from my site I do not see it in oulook while it is visible on the server

You should have mentioned this earlier.

No matter: if you now fill out that form, you will likely find that the user / email address you have just created will receive an email with the content.

Could you test this and post an update?

the user/adresse mail philippe.ronzevalle@toutle05.fr has been created
I fill my form I can see the mail in webmin

but nothing arrives in outlook

Mission accomplished! We have solved the problem that you had outlined in your initial message.

However, you have a slightly unusual situation @pronzevalle . You are hosting a website in Virtualmin for a domain whose email is hosted somewhere else, correct? You must configure the virtual server accordingly, so that the Virtualmin system is aware that email is hosted elsewhere.

In order to do this you must:

1. edit the virtual server and disable email by unchecking the appropriate box
  2. edit DNS records for the virtual server to point the MX record to the actual server which is receiving email for the domain.

Only then will you be able to fill out a form and receive the email in Outlook.

1 Like

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !! You’re great

Thank you for all the time you spent helping me with this problem.

I wish you a good day.

Je suis heureux d’avoir pu aider. Bonne journée.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.