Can 2 primary DNS servers use the same secondary DNS server?

I have Virtualmin running on one server with the primary DNS on that server. I have Webmin running on another server, with the secondary DNS. I add/edit/delete a zone to the VM box (primary) and it automatically updates the secondary.

If I set up a second Virtualmin server, with an entirely separate set of domains and its own primary DNS, can it use the same secondary DNS server that the other primary uses? Or will the two primaries overwrite the other’s settings on the single secondary?

Thanks,
Chris

Simple and quick answer: The two masters can, as long as their zones don’t clash, use the same slave without problem. :slight_smile:

ISPs often use that feature to offer slave nameservers to their customers who wish to be running their own master, but don’t wish to configure two servers. Since on the slave side, the master-server is configured per-zone, there’s no problem doing that.

Thanks Locutus, I wasn’t sure if you meant that doing so would not affect BIND alone, or that the Webmin BIND module, with secondary NS configured as a clustered server, would not cause problems.

I went ahead and set it up as planned, and confirmed that it works fine.

Thanks,
Chris

Oh… yep, you’re right. My response was a little unclear there. :slight_smile: BIND as well as the Cluster Slave feature have no problems with what you’re trying to do.

In fact, I’m using that setup myself, I have two Virtualmin servers which both use a third Webmin-only server as DNS Cluster Slave.