Buy virtualmin pro, cloudmin pro : totaly lost for designing architecture

Hello, i just bought cloudmin and virtualmin.

We are an existing linux hosting web provider. We host users on serveral servers, web1, web2 , ns1 and 2, reverse proxing, mail server , mail server relay gateway in dmz …

We decided to give a try to xxxmin solution … but for designing our new architecture this is not well documented.
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/tutorial

We have constraint :

• 4 public ip for all , (so reverse proxying will be needed : i know well haproxying things )
  • 3 physical node (supermicro servers) with proxmox (ceph inside)

On top of that we will be happy to put virtualmin (and / or cloudmin) in order to manager our dns servers, mail servers (bring proxy by two mail gateway ) , web sites, users domains (at the beginging 4 domain)

must ours internal server xxxmin have external hostname FQDN ? or can we put internal ? mydomain.com vs local.intra ?
Firstly we need to design dsn internal zone AND dns external zone … how to do that ?

Must we use Webmin tab ? virtualmin tab ? … what the aim of CloudMin : this is not well explained on the site …

Where can we start ?

i set up :

• one cloudmin server (one license )
  • and two virtualmin servers (one license)

But license complain !!!

Warning!
A problem was detected with your Virtualmin license :
Your serial number is licensed for only 1 servers, but is being used on 3. A renewal can be purchased at http://www.virtualmin.com/shop

NOW i can’t reinstall my virtualmin server !!!

why ? … we are testing your product, you block ours tests.
There is no support ? when we go for Pro version ?

(Account\ card \ The card has been deleted. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

Hum …

that mean one 6$ for one feature (if we choose to separate service, which is what we planned to …)?
if we want to separate our 2 DNS we need to more virtualmin licenses ?

trying to add domain … “create virtual server”

Failed to create virtual server : Failed to find section local_name ledufinfra.fr !

Is there something working with your solution ?

after this buggy creation …
www.ledufinfra.fr

403 Forbidden

nginx/1.14.2

just a cool solution …

where is the promised “Cloudmin Connect for Virtualmin”
Free with Cloudmin Pro ???

No. DNS servers only need Webmin.

Of course there is. File tickets. We have a paid full-time employee who does nothing but support Pro users in our issue tracker.

Yes, you can. The error is merely a warning. It does not prevent installation and does not prevent Virtualmin from working. It will clear on its own once the license server stops seeing the other server(s) for a while.

Nothing is blocked.

This is a known bug introduced in the latest release, discussed several times in the forum, including a link to the patch to fix it (Set parent section fields that would be set when reading the config · webmin/webmin@2ee4317 · GitHub )

A new release to fix it and a few other bugs is coming tonight or tomorrow.

It is built-in. Add your Virtualmin server(s) and you can add MySQL/PostgreSQL and DNS servers in the Cloudmin Services page. Virtualmin can then off-load those services, if desired.

Edit: But, if you only have one Virtualmin server and don’t need virtual machine management, Cloudmin may be overkill for you. Virtualmin by itself can use external DNS secondary servers (primary is still the Virtualmin host in this scenario, though) and external database servers. It doesn’t need Cloudmin’s help for that…Cloudmin Connect just makes it easy to share those services (plus mail scanning) across many Virtualmin servers.

If you want to cancel, request cancellation in the issue tracker, and if it’s been less than 30 days, you’ll receive a refund for your purchase. (Though I don’t know how to issue a refund if you deleted the card…it may not let us. We’ll have to try to figure it out.)

… and be working with with all the solution ?
ie : if i create a domain for a client , the virtualmin server hosting domain automatically write record to those separate server ?

thing are blocked.

i can’t do server check.

Checking Configuration
Warning! A problem was detected with your Virtualmin license :
Your serial number is licensed for only 1 servers, but is being used on 3. A renewal can be purchased at http://www.virtualmin.com/shop
Re-check License Status
The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …
Your system has 1.94 GiB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MiB.
BIND DNS server is installed, and the system is configured to use it.

Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

Postfix is configured to support per-domain outgoing IP addresses.

The following PHP versions are available : 7.3.19 (/bin/php-cgi7.3)

The following PHP execution modes are available : fcgid fpm

The following PHP-FPM versions are available on this system : 7.3.11 (php7.3-fpm)

PHP versions have changed to 7.3 since last check. Regenerating any missing php.ini files.

Webalizer is installed.

MariaDB 10.3.22 is installed and running.

ProFTPD is installed.

Logrotate is installed.

SpamAssassin and Procmail are installed and configured for use.

ClamAV is installed and running.

The System and Server Status module is installed and checking on schedule.

Plugin AWstats reporting is installed OK.

The Apache website feature is not enabled

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

testing install’script … :roll_eyes:

Now installing DokuWiki version 2018-04-22c …

Failed to extract source : Sub-directory dokuwiki-2018-04-22c was not found

… failed! See the error message above for the reason why.

Applying Nginx configuration …
… done

But, you did do a server check, and it worked. It just warned you about the license. Nothing is being blocked. It’s just telling you what’s wrong (license). But, it is not interfering with any feature.

I’ll look into the dokuwiki issue. It’s not a very popular installer, so it doesn’t get a lot of attention, but we fix it when things change that break it, as quickly as possible.

sorry for being not pleasant , but there is so many thing not’working as expected …

when i want to save “features’and modules”

Failed to save enabled features : The plugin Protected web directories cannot be used : The Apache website feature is not enabled

… we don’t want to use apache because we choose a --bundle Lemp install.
is’it normal ?

it’s tell’me too :

Virtualmin’s configuration has not been checked since it was last updated. Click the button below to verify it now.

and

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

???

Also a known bug. Sorry, this one is specifically my fault. I didn’t remove the wbm-virtualmin-htpasswd module from the LEMP stack yum group or metapackage. Are you running CentOS or Ubuntu/Debian?

Uninstalling the wbm-virtualmin-htpasswd or webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd package will fix it. You can also just disable the Protected web directories feature in Features and Plugins (htaccess files don’t exist in nginx, so it doesn’t make sense to have it enabled, as it’s impossible to do).

You caught us at a really bad time. We rolled out a huge new set of releases recently, literally every package got an update, and it was after Jamie and I had both rebuilt our build environments and build scripts…things did not go well. It was too big of a batch of changes for a four-person team to handle, and things got messy. We’re still cleaning up the mess, but the next round of releases this weekend should fix most of them. Really, Virtualmin is too big at this point; we’re maintaining too many features for too many distributions with too few resources, and we need to pare it down, so the next major version (Virtualmin 7 coming in a few weeks once all the fires are out) will simplify and remove some less used features and options (and will anger a handful of folks who use Virtualmin for its ridiculous configurability and flexibility…but, we simply don’t make enough money to pay enough full-time devs to maintain hundreds of thousands of lines of code, and the majority of users never see or care about 75% of Virtualmin’s capabilities).

tssss.
Don’t be sorry Joe : you do a very good and hard work on this project. (i also see your videos : EXCELENT).
(i’m a total newbie with webmin … so virtualmin and stuff).
(i will answer you, next time).
We, at ilinux, also know that their is a lot of consumer … but not ENOUGH conceptor: that’s the big problem of free project.
Many consumer … too few coder, dev etc .
i’m not dev. , just sys admin … and system architect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.