SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.5
Webmin version 2.013
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.5
Theme version 20.13
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I do use Virtualmin (with NGINX).
There is a section, where you are able to set a “sub-directory” as document-root.

Setting work like expected (I’ve tried with setting it to “web”.

BUG 1

But you can not remove this setting afterwards via this UI, because if you remove the word from the input-field, you are not able to save:

Bug 2

Another Issue with that is, that the “document-root” was renamed in the NGINX-Config-File of this VHOST (it becomes /hosme/<user>/web), but the FileManager shows, that this directory don’t exist, as there is still the public_html as user root.
BTW: The sub-directory web below public_html is an manual created from my side that was there before I try to set the Sub-Directories via Web-options .

So it seems “Website-Options > Sub-Directory” does nothing at the directory-structure, but only rename the document-root in the Nginx-File… and not by adding /web to existing document_root, but with replacing it.

That is not a bug. You have to enter what you want the sub directory to be. If you just delete the word, you’re not telling the system where the document root is, so it can’t be saved.

This is not a “I’ll change it and then just delete it and it’ll automatically know where I want it to be” type of operation.

If you want to set it back to the default, you’ll have to enter public_html like it was before you changed it. That will return it to it’s default setting.

Again, not a bug.

You have to enter the FULL PATH. You can’t just enter one word and have it magically know where you want it to be. You also have to create a folder for that path and set permissions for it in order for it to work.

The thing to do would have been:

• Go to the virtual server you want to change.
  • Use the file manager and create a folder called ‘web’ in the public_html directory
  • Check permissions on the ‘web’ folder to make sure it’s set to 750
  • Go to the website options tab and change the directory to ‘public_html/web’ (without the quotes of course) and hit enter.

Done.

Thanks @Gomez_Adams,
I see now.
The issue was, that on this host, the input-field was empty as I entered the “Website Options” dialog the very first time… BUT that might be caused of a miss configuration in the NGINX-Config File for this host.

I’ve checked it with another VM and see that “public_html” is pre-filled in this field. So thanks for this hint.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.