Bug in Backup and Restore -> SSH -> Directory Creation?

Recently I’ve set up 2 virtualmin installs. Well, I’m doing testing so I’ve installed virtualmin about 50 times between 2 servers. Server1 acts as a backup server for Server2 and Server2 would be where the website go. I’ve just noticed that when creating my backup schedules on Server2 that they’re not always able to create the directories correctly on Server1 correctly.

Here’s a few example configs

Does NOT work

• SSH server: Server1
  • File on server: /home/domain/backups/daily/%d-%m-%Y
  • Login as user: domain
  • Password: ******

Does NOT work

• File on server: /home/domain/backups/adomain/daily/%d-%m-%Y

Works just fine!

• File on server: /home/domain/backups/%d-%m-%Y

Works just fine!

• File on server: /home/domain/randomtext/%d-%m-%Y

Of course the option “Create destination directory?” is selected during all tests.

I should point out that before every test I’ve done I’ve performed a clean OS install on Server1 and Server2, installed virtualmin and started from scratch. I’ve also verified that at no point during my tests has there been an existing /home/domain/backups directory prior to forcing the backup attempt.

The problem can be reproduced every time I try. The same does NOT occur when storing locally instead of via the SSH option.

I seem to remember this working just about a week ago earlier in my unrelated testing, so I don’t know if Virtualmin has had updates done to the Backup functions recently or not.

It seems to me that the ssh backup function is able to create the 1st and 2nd level/child directories, but 3rd, 4th etc cannot be created. I’d rather not just use backups/%d-%m-%Y as there’s other types of backups being placed into the same directory, so I’d like to be a bit more specific like backups/adomain/daily/%d-%m-%Y

Is this a bug I’ve stumbled on or is there maybe something obvious that I’m missing.

Howdy,

If that’s reproducible, then you may have run into a bug of some sort.

My suggestion would be to come up with a way to word the problem you’re seeing as succinctly as possible, and to file a bug report using the “Support” link above.

Make sure you include any error messages you’re seeing, that’ll help Jamie nail down what’s going on.

Thanks!

-Eric