Bind not starting according to Webmin, but domains seem to be working

Hi All,

First time posting…

I’ve had a basic VPS where I’ve hosted inactive domains to (eventually) get a better idea of how webmin/virtualmin work, so I could consider moving active domains from a cPanel dedicated server… I started this a few years back, when cPanel increased prices, then never did anything about it…

So I’ve decided I need to look into this now, so I’ve logged into the VPS, and I can see that Webmin is saying BIND isn’t running and won’t start when clicking the green play icon.

I could see that there were updates to both webmin and virtualmin, but these fail if I attempt them.

I came across this post from back in 2022, but I couldn’t add to it as it had been closed.

So I’m hoping for some pointers on what I need to look for, where I need to look.

The domains that are on the server seem to be working - it even let me install wordpress using one of the install scripts in virtualmin.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul

| Webmin version 2.102
VPS - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz, 4 cores
|------------------------------|-------------------------------|
| OS type and version | CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 |
| Virtualmin version | 7.10.0 |

Run this command in the terminal. Not sure if is valid for your version OS or not.

named-checkconf
and/or
service named status

First got a permission denied, this output for the second…

[bourboncollection@vmi304038 ~]$ service named status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status named.service
● named.service - Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/named.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2024-03-25 22:33:12 CET; 2 weeks 3 days ago
Main PID: 980 (named)
CGroup: /system.slice/named.service
└─980 /usr/sbin/named -u named -c /etc/named.conf

So is it running and the interface isn’t picking it up?

root@train:~# ps aux |grep named

bind         743  0.0  0.5 1500996 85112 ?       Ssl  Feb14  14:12 /usr/sbin/named -f -u bind
root     4009481  0.0  0.0   6264   648 pts/0    S+   14:35   0:00 grep named`

It seems to be running, as I can browse to hosted domains, but the server status in the webmin console shows it as stopped…

I don’t know if this is related/as a result of, but when I try and update to the latest webmin/virtualmin I get the following failure,

warning: /var/cache/yum/x86_64/7/Webmin/packages/webmin-2.105-1.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 8916f2a2: NOKEY

Public key for webmin-2.105-1.noarch.rpm is not installed

Rereading the initial post. This sever is being used as a test with the intention of moving sites to it? Why CentOS7? That’s dead the end of June. Why not start over at this point with a more current OS?

The majority of the sites are inactive domains… So I’m not averse to doing that, I wasn’t aware CentOS is on its way out, so that would make it much more practical as well…

So what would be the preferred flavour for basic mail/wordpress website type hosting?

Is there a way to backup the existing virtualmin accounts to then move them either to a new VPS/the reinstalled one?

Thanks for your help with these replies!

Paul

1 Like

The answer to distro questions is: “The latest supported version of the distribution you are most comfortable with.”

If you are most comfortable with CentOS and RPM-based systems, Rocky 9 or Alma 9 would be the obvious choice. (Or RHEL.)

1 Like

As Rocky and Alma are basically ‘the new CentOS’, it makes sense to stick with them. RedHat owns the server space with their long term support.

Thanks.

Can’t say I’m comfortable with any, as traditionally, I’ve only worked under a WHM/cPanel environment… This was an excercise in breaking that cycle.

So, based on the fact that my cPanel server has already recommended we upgrade to Alma there, and it seems like a valid option here from CentOS, I guess I should be leaning in that direction.

I’ll start looking for resources tomorrow, think I’ll go for another cheap VPS to start playing with it.
Thanks again for your pointers.

Paul

1 Like

regarding Bind, be sure that you need it or want it – does your ISP or hosting provider give you the opportunity to run bind for the public to use – as well as what configuration options you have at your domain registrar.

in some situations, its a mistake to run bind on your Virtualmin server :slight_smile:

and I myself get confused at times, when using Virtualmin, which items/functions should be managed only thru the Virtualmin panels VS the webmin panels – others may have advice on this matter.

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I decided to start from a new VPS (I’ve actually ordered 2), and cancelled the old one.

Both the new ones are now installed. Plan to use one to slowly move production domains to, and the other for testing and learning…

Any suggested resources for starting out with webmin/virtualmin from a learning standpoint. Stuff like security best practices, backup configuration…

I’m planning on getting a storage VPS for backup storage in the future for example.

Cheers.

I recommend checking this out: My Virtualmin Notes | QuantumWarp

Also the documentation for virtualmin.

Hi vtrh,

This is great resource for those starting out… I’d recommend having this somehow pinned in the home for newbies.

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes, its a awesome guide, it was written by @shoulders

1 Like

Guides are always going to be subjective rather than objective, based on the guide’s authors experience… some guides may be written from experience with a debian based system others with experience on a rhel based system. I would guess the only true ‘bible’ is the documentation written by the authors of webmin. But I do take on board that some guides are written to try to be objective but then you are at the mercy of the authors experience of the webmin product, which I would hope, is a full knowledge of webmin and how it works