BIND doesn't really go away?!

I am setting up a fresh webmin/virtualmin. Everything up to date.

A seemingly simple task: disable BIND since we handle that externally.

• In virtualmin, I unchecked BIND (system->features) and saved. No errors.
    (I note that “default” is still checked but gray… no prob?)

However, in webmin I see:

• BIND is still a running process
  • webmin still has BIND monitor active, which believes BIND is running.
  • BIND Service config is available and functioning
  • bind9 and bind9.service are still boot-time services and both active

So… is Virtualmin actually able to turn off BIND?

Thanks,
Pete

Operating system Debian Linux 10
Webmin version 1.981
Usermin version 1.823
Virtualmin version 6.17-3

@MrPete,

After disabling features, try using Virtualmin > System Settings > Re-Check Configuration. This will recognize the changes you make to “Features and Plugins” and run the appropriate system command turning the service off.

Alternatively, if for whatever reason that doesn’t work, go to Webmin > System > Bootup and Shutdown. Locate “bind” (often referred to as “named” – check the description column to confirm) then place a check in the field in the far left column, scroll down the page then click “Disable Now and On Boot”.

*** You can check the current status of the service by looking in the column on the page labeled “Running Now” ***

In this case, Re-Check Configuration does nothing. Virtualmin thinks it is gone, but it is still up and running. Looks like a bug: Virtualmin claims to have accomplished something but mostly just became ignorant of the bind that’s there :wink:

Yes, webmin tools functioned correctly to disable bind.

Thanks!

So…Features and Plugins configures Virtualmin, not the system. I know this is maybe unintuitive, but disabling a feature in Features and Plugins does not turn off the service or disable it.

This is kind of historic from back in the days when people ran fewer servers that did more things. The idea was that you may not want Virtualmin managing your DNS, but you might still want a DNS server running on the system. Likewise for Postfix, MySQL, etc. This is possibly not a useful distinction today. Maybe for services other than mail, if you disable the feature in Virtualmin it should also turn off the system service that provides that feature (assuming nothing else in Virtualmin needs it…e.g. we can’t turn off Postfix as lots of things probably need to send mail even if you aren’t receiving mail for Virtualmin users).

So, it is not a bug. But, it may be a wrong assumption to make for most Virtualmin systems today, and the more intuitive thing would be for it to also disable the system service.

This sometimes comes up in the opposite direction, too. People assume installing a Virtualmin plugin or Webmin module does everything to make that feature available, but often it requires installation of system packages and maybe some configuration to actually get that feature. There probably is a way to solve this more intuitively, but I don’t want to rush into an implementation…I’ll talk to Jamie and Ilia about possible solutions. Maybe we want a to push more installer smarts into Virtualmin, so disabling a feature can even uninstall the now-unnecessary packages, or enabling a feature can install and configure the package(s) needed (using the system package manager to install and virtualmin-config to set it up).

Good thoughts, Joe. I certainly see the tension there.

I am thinking a good starting point toward a more comprehensive solution is simply (hah! :wink: ) improved awareness of those distinctions.

Perhaps something like an additional read-only column in Features and Plugins?
“Webmin Service” ([blank],[inst],[active])

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.