Best practices for setting up server's subdomain (server.example.com) and Virtual Server for base domain (example.com)

It never occurred to me to do that, historically and with little to no knowledge I’ve used https://server.example.com to access Webmin, and so felt I needed an SSL cert for that FQDN

So, the way i setup a LE cert for the FQDN was to add server.example.com to ‘domain names listed here’ in the LE SSL Certificate page for example.com

I know you’ve changed the way you’re going about things, but that’s how I did it - no guarantee it was the right way though.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t do that. I did this since my host went under and I didn’t have a FQDN. I’ve been using Linux for years so I figured I could resolve it later. Every time I try to fix it it breaks something else (usually email).

It does. It’s just so different from my web server setups going back as far as I can remember, it seemed kind of odd to not have a cert to secure the server’s FQDN. With my new setup and how I’ve changed how everything is done though, it’s not much of an issue.

Thanks for your help on this!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.