Basic Authentication Apache Wep Protected folders never prompt for password

I actually have two virtualmin control panels one works as expected but this one I’m having problems with.

I’ve setup multiple folders using web protection and added the users via the interface and ive even gone so far as to do it completely manually as well, but for whatever reason basic auth from apache is just not firing a password, when i browse to the folder it shows me the index.html – where should I start on the troubleshooting? I’m really confused becuase this isn’t complex at all and I’m thinking im just missing something misconfigured in apache.

Even on the folders I didn’t make like /stats/ for awstats there is no basic auth it just allows you to browse right in. Thats why im leaning toward an apache issue that I’m not sure about: obviously mod_basic_auth, auth_file, and authn_core is enabled so im stumped already.

consulting the log shows
mydomain.tld80 10.10.10.173 - - [21/Sep/2022:15:27:05 -0400] “GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1” 404 403 “http://www.domain.tld/reportsauth/” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:105.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/105.0”

Ubuntu Linux 18.04.6 LTS / Webmin 1.881

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version
Webmin version

@Shinzan,

I’d be happy to help you identify and correct this issue through a private, affordable support session. Drop me a line if you are interested, most issues are resolved in an hour or less.

*** Professional, Affordable, Server Support https://tpnassist.com ***

filled out your form

So basically the virtualmin interface was not creating this directive in the 0-domain.tld.conf

<Directory /home/domain.tld/public_html/reports/>
#Protect Directory
AuthName “Dialog prompt”
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/domain.tld/public_html/reports/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

<Directory /home/domain.tld/public_html/forms/>
#Protect Directory
AuthName “Dialog prompt”
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/domain.tld/public_html/reports/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

the one is an older virtualmin so not sure but i noticed the new one works fine

@Shinzan,

The missing directive in the .htaccess or Apache config would definitely cause problems.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.