bash shell for virtual server admins doesn't use .bashrc (tab completion, colors, etc)?

It’s almost as if it’s not using the .bashrc for the user.
I checked the .bashrc for the user and it contains:
# enable programmable completion features (you don’t need to enable

this, if it’s already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile

sources /etc/bash.bashrc).

if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi

I also checked /etc/bash.bashrc and it contains:
# enable bash completion in interactive shells
#if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then

. /etc/bash_completion

#fi

So I uncommented it to look like:
# enable bash completion in interactive shells
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi

Yet my users (Virtualmin Server Admin) don’t have tab completion, or colors (i.e. “ls -la /” doesn’t display different colors for folders vs files etc).

When I login as my main root account (that I created when I first installed Ubuntu 8.04 server) all of these features are available?

It’s probably something simple, but I can’t seem to find the switch to fix this in Virtualmin.
Thanks,
-BassKozz

Howdy,

Are you certain that your users are using the bash shell, and not something like /bin/sh?

You may want to verify which shell they have, that could certainly explain the .bash related files not being processed :slight_smile:

-Eric

Looks like the user is using /bin/sh
$ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh

so to fix I simply:
chsh -s /bin/bash
exited and logged back in and it was fixed…
But I don’t want to have to do this everytime I add a user… is it possible to have Virtualmin default new users to /bin/bash rather then /bin/sh?

Yup! Take a peek in System Customization -> Custom Shells. It sounds like /bin/sh is setup in there, you can set it to /bin/bash.

-Eric

That did the trick.
Thanks

i see this is an old topic, but to follow up…

1. can i change this somewhere for all current users in one go?
  2. how to tell which shell to give new users?

There’s no quick and easy way to change the shell for all users, other than editing /etc/passwd.

For new users – you can configure that in System Customization -> Custom Shells.

-Eric

Can it made to be default for all? Or to remake for all? How to change it for each? Why its like that?