Backups in Virtualmin question

Hi,

I have a daily backup at 4am which gets into a folder /backup/%d/%m/%Y so I’m good with that because it creates a sub directory for each day.

Now, I’d also like to have an hourly incremental backup… Is it ok to store it in the same /backup/%d/%m/%Y? or should I store it somewhere else? I’m not sure if the incremental just appends info into the .tar files.

And, if I need to restore the backup, which ones is restored first, the full and then the last incremental? or I need to restore the full and ALL incrementals since the full?

Thank you!

Howdy,

Both the full and incremental backup each make their own .tar.gz file, so a directory structure that works for one works fine for the other.

As far as how to do a restore – you would first restore the latest full, followed by the latest incremental. You don’t need to restore all incrementals.

-Eric

When I go the incremental folder I only see one file per server, and showing the latest incremental which is done at 22:00

Let’s say I’d like to recover the incremental that’s done at 16:00, it doesn’t seem to be there, but not sure if it’s actually appended.

Thanks!

Howdy,

No, it shouldn’t be appended to another backup. It should be a backup of it’s own.

You may want to take a look at Backup and Restore -> Backup Logs, to make sure it’s trying to store the backups at the correct location, as well as to make sure there weren’t any errors during the backup process.

-Eric

The Incremental backup logs show ok, now when I go and see the files it created, I only see the last one, based on the file modify date/time…

All incrementals are saved into /backup/incremental/%d-%m-%Y folder, so for a specific date, I can go and see the Virtual Servers but only one .tar per server, with the modify time as being the last incremental time so that’s why I was wondering if it was replacing the file or appending.

Regards,