Backup - Some options greyed out - output file incorrect

Hi All,

So I need to double-check two things. In the gui for backing up servers:
1 - I can’t select different Backup compression format
2 - I can’t select one file per server.
See below:

Another thing is that I download the backup via the browser as a test. However, this is not a normal tar.gz archive. It spits out a backup.tgz file, that when I extract it, gives me one file, which looks like a binary file, no folders subfolders. Not sure if this is a bug in the latest version. Don’t often use the gui, but my clients need to do backups themselves.

When I’ve downloaded the backup.tgz file, I extract it to a folder. What I get is the single file as mentioned, see below:

Has anyone come across this, or can someone confirm if it’s just my end, or if there’s a general issue

Much appreciated

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 18.04.6
Webmin version: Latest
Virtualmin version: Latest

It would help if you actually used complete screen shots.

At the top you should see this:

You have to select All Virtual Servers and make sure the Include Subfolders is checked. Mine is that way by default, but if you’ve unchecked those things make sure you put them back.

From what little you show it looks like you really didn’t select anything to back up other than the home directory and web pages, which will be very little.

You cannot download “one file per server” in the browser. It is disabled because it’s impossible.

And, download to browser is the least reliable option here. You should only ever use it for very small domains, and for quick tests. I’d rather we didn’t offer the option, at all…but some folks like it for quick and dirty backups.

Hi,
Sorry for the lengthy delay in response. Been on holiday, and had a crazy few weeks back.
Thanks for the answer. It really pertains to the “end users”
I don’t like doing things in the gui, prefere command line. However, if someone is hosting with us, they need gui interfaces for making backups etc. Most “end users” would find it easier to download over the browser.

I’ll do some more tests, when I get some time, and I’ll post the comments here.

Most “end users” would find it easier to download over the browser. @neural

Still they can and should first save that file on the server ( explain them a own Directory and kind of documentation for that backup procedure)

Then the file is there ( on server in own directory) and that is better error consistent, they can then download that backup file with for example file manager.

( information and teaching howto’s)

As @Joe probably tried to tell you , that is the way to go if downloaded local needed.

Restore also first load file up to server / directory and check if there, start restore then from that file on server. So if browser / connection problems those shouldn’t interfere as much …

Extract with for example 7zip is easy, you have to do 2 times extraction because or format … first to have the tar.gz extracted to tar then second to files. ( You can open file with 7zip and then click into the tar.gz, you see the tar, then clik into you see files)

If windows users… has nothing todo with Virtualmin…

The only thing that realy need explanation (but most simple end users don’t do things with databases sql themselves) is that the database .gz backup if extracted on windows machine with 7zip has no extension where it should have .sql or so.)