Backup failure for domain

Hi,

All of a sudden the backup of my domains is failing. It has been running flawlessly for years (great work guys!).

Any ideas what is going on here? I’ve checked for full disk and full quota, and both look ok.

Thanks!
-m

Creating backup for virtual server DOMAIN.COM
Copying virtual server configuration …
… done

Backing up Cron jobs ..
.. done

Copying records in DNS domain ..
.. done

Saving mail aliases ..
.. done

Saving mail and FTP users ..
.. done

Backing up mail and FTP user Cron jobs ..
.. none to backup

Copying Apache virtual host configuration ..
.. done

Copying Apache log files ..

Failed to write to /tmp/.webmin/812224_19367_3_backup.pl/DOMAIN.COM_web_alog : Broken pipe at /usr/share/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1397, line 369.

Howdy,

Which Virtualmin version are you using?

If it isn’t the latest (4.15), does using the latest resolve it?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I was indeed on 4.13 still. I’ve upgraded to 4.15, if you don’t hear from me in the next week, then the problem has evaporated.

Thanks,
-m

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately, it’s still there in 4.15.

Creating backup for virtual server DOMAIN.COM .. Copying virtual server configuration .. .. done
Backing up Cron jobs ..
.. done

Copying records in DNS domain ..
.. done

Saving mail aliases ..
.. done

Saving mail and FTP users ..
.. done

Backing up mail and FTP user Cron jobs ..
.. none to backup

Copying Apache virtual host configuration ..
.. done

Copying Apache log files ..

Failed to write to /tmp/.webmin/115749_8230_3_backup.pl/DOMAIN.COM_web_alog : Broken pipe at /usr/share/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1397, line 369.

Where should I start to debug this? What command can I run from the term to restart a backup of a single domain? I can start digging into the Perl from there.

Thanks,
-m

What distro/version is it that you’re using there?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

-m

Howdy,

Great – what is the output of this command, I just wanted to verify which variant of Virtualmin 4.15 it was:

dpkg -l 'webmin*'

Also, you can see the options for restoring a domain on the command line by running the following:

virtualmin restore-domain

ii webmin-virtual-server 4.15.gpl-2 Webmin module for ‘Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)’

How do you figure out the exact command line for ‘virtualmin backup-domain --domain DOMAIN.COM --option “stuff”’ ? to match what is happening in the CRON job? That seems to be my next step in reproducing and debugging the problem.

Thanks!
-m

Hmmm seems that domain didn’t have log file rotation turned on and has a 400MB apache error log. I turned on log rotation, let’s see if it that helps.

-m

Great, let us know if that helps – if not, we can dig into it deeper, and even get Jamie involved if necessary.

Note though that the next version of Virtualmin will temporarily disable quotas while the backups are running to ensure that quota related issues don’t cause problems with the backups.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

This appears to be resolved by increasing the disk quota on the accounts that were failing, and/or turning on log rolling to reduce the amount of storage required during backup.

thanks,
-m