AWstats not working anymore

Hello everyone,
I just realized that AWstats stopped working for all of my domains on the server (debian 10).
When I click “Save and Re-Generate Report” in its settings I get the following error:

Create/Update database for config "/etc/awstats/awstats.example.com.conf" by AWStats version 7.6 (build 20161204)
From data in log file "gunzip -c /var/log/virtualmin/example.com_access_log.1.gz |"...
Phase 1 : First bypass old records, searching new record...
Searching new records from beginning of log file...
Error: Command for pipe 'gunzip -c /var/log/virtualmin/example.com_access_log.1.gz |' failed
Setup ('/etc/awstats/awstats.scixiq.de.conf' file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory).
Create/Update database for config "/etc/awstats/awstats.example.com.conf" by AWStats version 7.6 (build 20161204)
From data in log file "/var/log/virtualmin/example.com_access_log"...
Error: Couldn't open server log file "/var/log/virtualmin/example.com_access_log" : Permission denied
Setup ('/etc/awstats/awstats.example.com.conf' file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory).

(switched my real domain with example.com for posting here)

Any ideas?

Did you do something in that regard? Either its really a permission issue (which wont appear if its not touched) or its something else.
Did you check the log files?

I didn’t do anything in that regard. I only use the server to serve wordpress sites via nginx.
I cannot find anything unusual in the logs but I’m also not 100% sure where to look for awstats problems.

Well, you should defenitly check the config file for the AWStats. And check the permisisons too in that regard.
Did you check the general settings section regarding AWStats?

Who is the owner of this file and what group is this assigned to. Say for example.com, the owner is example then you should have the owner as example with a group of www-data (I assume Debian has the same group as Ubuntu). You also want to make sure that example is in the www-data group.

I think there is definitely a bug here on virtualmin’s side.
I installed a new server (again same configuration: Debian 10, Virtualmin with NGINX, additionally installed: certbot, PHP 7.4) and everything worked well but after a day (without touching anything permission-wise) AWstats again stopped working due to wrong permissions on config files.
I have now deactivated AWstats (dont really use it anyway) and will live with that for now.

Actually it doesnt have to be that way.
It is highly possible that its not a permission thing. Its possible that its a config issue or web server issue (already stated in the message itself).
I dont mean that is not a bug, I just want to encourage yourself to check before saying that. :slight_smile:
Meaning, check the mentiond logfiles.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.