awstats and perl issues on Centos 6.5


I tried to setup awstat to resolve countrie by enabling the modules in the config page but then I get this:
Error: Plugin load for plugin ‘geoip’ failed with return code: Error: Can’t locate Geo/ in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/libexec/webmin /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 . /usr/share/awstats/lib /usr/share/view.cgi?config=braindamagemtl.comugins) at (eval 2) line 1. Can’t locate Geo/IP/ in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/libexec/webmin /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 . /usr/share/awstats/lib /usr/share/view.cgi?config=braindamagemtl.comugins) at (eval 3) line 1. Error: Need Perl module Geo::IP or Geo::IP::PurePerl

I then try to install the required modules but it fails all the time (many missing stuff).

Is there an obvious solution?



Try running this command, and see if it resolves the issue you’re seeing:

yum install perl-Geo-IP


I get this:

Last login: Sat Mar 8 04:07:50 2014 from x.x.x.x
[root@jackson ~]# yum install perl-Geo-IP
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

  • base:
  • extras:
  • updates:
    Setting up Install Process
    No package perl-Geo-IP available.
    Error: Nothing to do

It looks like pretty hard to install any perl package suggested by webmin:

Installation of Authen::Libwrap failed. Check the output above and try installing manually.

Do I need to enable some special repositories for Webmin/Virtualmin to work properly?



Ok, I just enable the EPEL repo and could install the module, will test it now.
If I run a yum update I get this.

I did not run it as I am afraid it might break things in Virtualmin, what is your take on it?

Dependencies Resolved

Package Arch Version Repository Size

GeoIP i686 1.4.8-1.el6 epel 621 k
GeoIP-devel i686 1.4.8-1.el6 epel 11 k
awstats noarch 7.0-3.el6 epel 1.2 M
clamav i686 0.98.1-1.el6 epel 1.4 M
clamav-db i686 0.98.1-1.el6 epel 77 M
clamd i686 0.98.1-1.el6 epel 145 k
fail2ban noarch 0.8.11-2.el6 epel 221 k
mod_fcgid i686 2.3.9-1.el6 epel 76 k
php-mcrypt i686 5.3.3-3.el6 epel 18 k
postgrey noarch 1.34-1.el6 epel 45 k
proftpd i686 1.3.3g-4.el6 epel 3.3 M
rkhunter noarch 1.4.0-2.el6 epel 186 k
Installing for dependencies:
ed i686 1.1-3.3.el6 base 70 k
python-inotify noarch 0.9.1-1.el6 epel 50 k

Transaction Summary

Install 2 Package(s)
Upgrade 12 Package(s)

Total download size: 85 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Ah, good question, thanks for asking before updating all those packages :slight_smile:

Now that the dependency you needed is installed, my suggestion would be to go back and disable the EPEL repo.

Then, you’d have only the package that you need from that repo, that won’t cause any problems… but if all those updates come through, it risks causing some issues.



I disabled the repo right after. So far it does not help as no country names are displayed so the geoip option is not yet working. I will wait for more data before troubleshouting again.