Awscli Update Error

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version AlmaLinux 9.3
Webmin version 2.105

Hi, did anybody else experience following update error:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:06:01 ago on Thu Jan 11 17:48:58 2024.
Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package awscli-1.23.10-3.el9.noarch
  - package awscli-1.23.10-3.el9.noarch from @System requires (python3.9dist(s3transfer) < 0.6 with python3.9dist(s3transfer) >= 0.5), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package awscli-1.23.10-3.el9.noarch from epel requires (python3.9dist(s3transfer) < 0.6 with python3.9dist(s3transfer) >= 0.5), but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install both python3-s3transfer-0.7.0-1.el9.next.noarch from epel-next and python3-s3transfer-0.5.2-2.el9.noarch from @System
  - cannot install both python3-s3transfer-0.7.0-1.el9.next.noarch from epel-next and python3-s3transfer-0.5.2-2.el9.noarch from epel
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package python3-s3transfer-0.5.2-2.el9.noarch

I’m confused. I don’t see this as a webmin 2.105 update error but an awscli update error?

1 Like

Yep, that has nothing to do with Webmin or the Webmin update. We don’t provide/maintain any of those packages.

Ok, I updated title.

1 Like

I updated it again, as it has nothing to do with Webmin (Webmin Software Updates is using your OS package manager to install software…it’s just a GUI. It isn’t the package manager.)

Just checked to make sure this is what I thought it was. awscli is the Amazon tool? I’m pretty sure AWS keeps their own repos. Did you install the OS from their repo? I have no clue how well it integrates outside their infrastructure.

I’d try to manually install from the package manager by picking one. It seems the system is trying to install the same thing from 2 different sources. No clue what @System means.

I didn’t notice a update, but I have that version, it does look like double sources.
are you on a vps?

A bit of google I found “The “@System” repository indicates the packages that you have installed not from any repos but from files on the disk [manually] via dnf install package.rpm.”

Did you manually install?

Hi Stefan,

I don’t use awscli and I have never installed it. I think it is installed by Virtualmin installer.

If I make “dnf repoquery -i” I get bellow reply:

[root@host ~]# dnf repoquery -i awscli
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:47 ago on Fri 12 Jan 2024 12:17:32 CET.
Name : awscli
Version : 1.23.10
Release : 3.el9
Architecture : noarch
Size : 2.1 M
Source : awscli-1.23.10-3.el9.src.rpm
Repository : epel
Summary : Universal Command Line Environment for AWS
URL : https://github.com/aws/aws-cli
License : ASL 2.0 and MIT
Description : This package provides a unified
: command line interface to Amazon Web Services.

That’s unusual as in Rock 9 I only install when I tried to use Amazon S3 Bucket for backups.
Not sure about the other package.
I’m only going off that forum why you would get a that ```
from @System

I have deinstalled awscli as I don’t need it. After that update was OK.

1 Like

I thought you were using AWS and they installed it with their image. Hmm. Just checked. I use their low end server for a cheap second DNS. It isn’t on there.

This is not a mystery.

awscli is a “default” package in our yum group, so it’ll be installed if it is available, but it isn’t a problem if it isn’t available. We do not provide or maintain the package or have any control over what the repos you have configured do with the package; it is just like any other package we list in our yum groups (default means “install it if available, but ignore it if not”).

As always, if you enable third party repos, or extra repos, there may be compatibility issues that come up. It’s also possible that whoever maintains the package (which is not us) made a mistake. You’d need to take it up with them.

And, of course, if you don’t use any AWS features of Virtualmin, such as S3 backups, Virtualmin does not care if you remove that package.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.