Authy two factor authentication broken

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version Webmin 2.101 and Usermin 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.7
Related packages SUGGESTED

Authy two factor authentication broken after Webmin Usermin updates.

I tried the cli to remove MFA but it complained it couldn’t find the configuration file even though it defaults to the correct directory.

Hello,

What error do you get exactly? I don’t remember us making any changes to Authy 2FA.

Warning!
Two-factor authentication failed : HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

Please also see the screenshots. The username and password are OK, the MFA screen appears OK, submit correct token and it comes back with the “failed” message. This is on 2 different servers, both used to work, both broke after the webmin/usermin updates.

Just tried the CLI /usr/share/webmin/bin/disable-twofactor with SUDO and it tried to execute but returned an http response complaining/warning :

Webmin has detected that the program <tt>http://</tt> was linked to from an unknown URL, which appears to be outside the Webmin server. This may be an attempt to trick your server into executing a dangerous command.<p>
Make sure your browser is configured to send referrer information so that it can be verified by Webmin.<p>
Alternately, you can configure Webmin to allow links from unknown referers by :<ul><li>Login as <tt>root</tt>, and edit the <tt>/etc/webmin/config</tt> file.</li><li>Find the line <tt>referers_none=1</tt> and change it to <tt>referers_none=0</tt>.</li><li>Save the file.</li></ul><p></p>WARNING - this has the side effect of opening your system up to reflected XSS attacks and so is not recommended!<p>

And still can’t get in.

I’ve managed to get back in by manually turning off MFA on my login by following the instructions here:

Oops! I reset my phone and no longer have two factor authentication | Virtualmin

In brief, SSH into server and remove the word “authy” or “totp” from the root user in /etc/webmin/miniserv.users and then run “/etc/webmin/restart”.

How can I get Authy API key?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.