Are multiple Apache Versions possible?

I am itching to try out Apache 2.4. I know I should just wait until the supported distros package it but I am impatient! I am running Centos 6.5. RHEL 7 beta is out so I guess at least few months until there is a full release and then another few months for Centos to catch up and pop out Centos 7.

I do not want to change the Apache version on every virtual server, just a few to test things out on. I think I know how to install Apache 2.4 in the op folder and then direct Webmin to use it (in: Virtualmin | Webmin | Servers | Apache Webserver | Module Config | System Config). This will change it system wide, across all servers.

I am wondering if it is possible to have different Apache versions running on the same system, similar to what is possible with the ‘Multiple PHP Versions’ feature (http://virtualmin.com/documentation/web/multiplephp).

I do not think this is possible but wanted to check.

Alternatively, is there a practical way to get different Apache versions running on virtual servers within the same system?

You certainly won’t be able to install different Apaches using your OS’ package manager. You could maybe install it manually or compile it from source, and then you need to make sure to keep all its files completely separate.

Also you need to be aware that only one application can listen on one port on one IP at a time. So except your server has multiple IP addresses, only one Apache can use the default port 80.

Virtualmin is in no way prepared nor does it assume that there might be multiple Apaches to choose from. It will use the default location and format for Apache config files depending on your distribution, and assume that the regular package installation is used. So all things you do in that regard would have to be set up manually.

All in all, I would strongly suggest to do this experiment only on a test server, and certainly not on a production machine.

Thank you for your incredibly quick and thorough post Locutus. As always, great advice and support.

I use virtual servers within virtualmin for all my testing and do not use a actual ‘dev machine’ any more. In the past I have used virtual machines for testing but have found them to be quite limited in their usefulness as they are not an exact clone of my live environment (I can not afford a dedicated server just for testing at the moment, I am more of a web designer and not much of a developer).

I will be patient and wait for a distro release. Until then I will tinker with caching and varnish instead!

Thanks of all for share the knowledge. I also have a question in my mind and with your talking i found the answer of my question so many thanks to all of you.

Howdy,

One way to have a dev system, even if you don’t have a spare server, would be to use a tool such as VirtualBox.

You can install VirtualBox onto your desktop, and have it install Virtual Machine’s. You can then install Virtualmin onto those Virtual Machine’s, and then you could test any Apache version using that Virtual Machine and not risk any problems on your live server.

-Eric