Applying Service SSL to Virtualmin Automatically?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
Webmin version webmin-1.994-1.noarch
Usermin version usermin-1.840-1.noarch

I manage a few Virtualmin servers, and on one of these I have a customer who uses Usermin to check their mail. I regularly have to go manually apply the certificate for the hostname (host.domain.com, which has its own virtualmin account with SSL automatically renewing) to usermin. It would be really nice if I could make sure that the ssl cert is installed automatically- both for me and the user.

Any thoughts on how to do this with Virtualmin? Thanks.

It already is automatic, if Virtualmin is managing the SSL certificates. If you’re managing them yourself (i.e. you set it up in certbot), then Virtualmin doesn’t know anything about it and so can’t really be responsible for it.

I’ll double check it. One of these servers did have to get certbot while Virtualmin’s SSL functions were broken quite a while ago. Thanks for the tip. I’ll check and report back.

Ah, that was it! Certbot was still installed. Hopefully its removal will mean more reliable SSL on this box. Thanks again for the tip, Joe.

certbot should be installed. You just shouldn’t use it directly, and rather let Virtualmin call it for you (Virtualmin manages the schedule and putting the certs into place, but prefers to use certbot to validate the certs…certbot is better at getting certs reliably than the bundled ACME client that comes with Webmin, so uninstalling certbot may make it less reliable).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.