Apache Server load balancing and SSL Port Forwarding configuration in Virtualmin

Hello Friends,

I want to confirm:

1. If Virtualmin, Webmin or Cloudmin support Apache Web Server load balancing including MySQL Sever load balancing

2. If Virtualmin, Webmin or Cloudmin support SSL port forwarding (binding to 1 Public IP address) to host multiple SSL hosted websites.

Please confirm before I can make my renewal decision.

Thank you,

Rizwan

Howdy,

If Virtualmin, Webmin or Cloudmin support Apache Web Server load balancing including MySQL Sever load balancing

It’s no problem to put a load balancer in front of a group of Apache web servers running Virtualmin, but you’d have to perform that setup manually.

Webmin/Virtualmin/Cloudmin isn’t able to keep multiple servers in sync, but you can perform your own configuration to get that working.

If Virtualmin, Webmin or Cloudmin support SSL port forwarding (binding to 1 Public IP address) to host multiple SSL hosted websites.

That question may be more about how the SSL protocol works.

In general, Apache/SSL requires one IP address per SSL Certificate. If you want more than one domain to be secured by SSL, you’d need to obtain an additional IP address.

Newer browsers support something called “SNI”. SNI is a protocol supported by Apache/SSL (and can be configured by Virtualmin) that enables multiple SSL certificates to reside on one IP address.

So, that setup could work, but not all browsers would support it.

-Eric

Dear friend,

Where may I find the Latest news, updates, patches or features information.

Would you kindly consider to enable Blog/News Blog on the main website that can help keep the customers or new users coming to Virtualmin website while making the site appear dynamic & engaging.

You may also consider to have 2 small box areas (Latest News) Latest Events)

I do not like to have twitter or facebook accounts hence just a thought many users may prefer to come regularty on the VirtualMin website.

Kind regards,

Rizwan

While Eric’s explanations are perfectly fine, I’m not 100% sure you two are talking about the same thing, in terms of “SSL port forwarding”. Actually, I never heard the term “port forwarding” in conjunction with “SSL” in that context. :slight_smile:

I’m assuming that Rizwan actually meant what Eric explained about SSL and IPs and SNI and stuff. That doesn’t really have anything to do with “port forwarding” though.

Port forwarding usually refers to a router technique, where incoming packets to its public IP address, on a certain port, are re-written with a LAN IP address as the destination, and possibly a different port. That way you can expose servers on a LAN with private IP addresses to the Internet, if the router has a public IP.