Annoying update message but can't find the package. New install on Rocky 9

I understand what you’re saying about the ISO install method (it’s much more effort), but the advantage is that you can be sure that the VPS provider (here: Vultr) won’t surreptitiously add a non-standard repo (or something else, for that matter!)

1 Like

lol nice try, you keep spending a extra half an hour or more on a install, I’ll just disable the repo in 1 minute.

“lol nice try”?

It’s absolutely true what I said

Not to mention that the reason for this thread was that non-obvious Vultr repo!

OS templates are perfectly fine for testing things – I didn’t say otherwise

But if you want to make sure that a provider hasn’t added things (that you might not want to have), installing from ISO is the way to go

Do whatever suits you, but “lol nice try” makes no sense here

Its a vultr mirror of https://apprepo.de/, its saves downloads for vultr if they have mirrors for repo’s. Common practice. Its not a repo I need so its a non issue.

Yeah, but you don’t know what the hell else they might add. It may be well-intentioned and useful, but I’d rather just start with a stock OS and know exactly what I’m installing.

Richard

1 Like

Y’all keep it on topic, please. Installing from an ISO or not is irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

But it is a good warning to others that it is not a good idea. you get what you might well expect if you deviate from the norm. In this case using Vultr ?

Using an ISO seems like a lot of work to address an extremely simple and harmless issue.

The Vultr cloud-init repo seems to be weird, and makes dnf behave in an incomprehensible way, but it’s nothing to do something crazy about. Jamie has fixed a bug (a bug that could only be hit by this particular combination of weirdness) in the update detection code, but unsurprisingly, we still have a problem with this particular package from this particular repo. It shows up as an available update, in dnf check-update and in Software Packages in Webmin (since dnf check-update is how Webmin figures out what’s available to update), but it cannot be installed, updated or upgraded. It is simply a broken repo that we can’t do anything about. We’re not going to special case our update detection to hide available updates, since there is no way I can see to detect it.

We show what the system package manager tells us. If the system package manager lies because of a broken repo or package, we just have to accept that that kind of thing happens.

In short: Next version of Webmin will still report this available package, and it will still be unable to be updated. But that’s exactly the behavior dnf shows, so it’s not our bug. It’s either a problem with the repo/package or with dnf. If it really bothers you, disabling that problem repo is the only solution I have to offer. Presumably Vultr will fix their package/repo at some point. But, it does fix the mixmatch between the red 1 and showing no packages in the Software Packages module. It’ll show the package in the Software Packages page…but, then if you try to update it simply won’t. Again, we can’t control it. It’s broken upstream of us.

Which is good enough! and a warning to steer clear of Vultr about sums it up (or accept the additional challenges it will bring)

I think Vultr is fine. I use them heavily. They screwed up one package. :man_shrugging:

Please stop. this thread is dead.

2 Likes

Just for the record there was a similar kind of issue with Digital Ocean and their default repos. I get a something like the following on AlmaLinux 9.1.

That’s not the same issue. I understand it looks similar, but if it showed up as an available update in Software Packages page, and if running dnf update updated the package when run on the command line, it’s not the same problem (the issue with cloud-init package on Vultr is that is literally cannot be updated in any way and it was invisible on the Software Updates page).

Weird that suddenly multiple VM hosting providers all have weird yum repos, though.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.